1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Useless Space Taken up By Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SHERLOCKHOLMES, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SHERLOCKHOLMES

SHERLOCKHOLMES Thread Starter

Hi Folks:
    I hope someone can help me out there. I have Windows Xp installed on my computer. But the trouble is that it occupies almost 11 gigs of space on the 20 gig portion my partitioned hard drive. When I open explorer to check this out; it says that Windows is only occupying around 3.5 gigs of space. Can anybody please tell me what is occupying the missing 7.5 gigs of space and how can I recover this lost space.

I suspect that I may have lost this space over time due to ongoing updates from Windows. Does this make sense to anyone?

When I try to defrag this drive I get a flag that says I only have 11% of free space to work with when I should have around 50%.

I hope I have provided enough information for somebody out there to help.

Thank-you in advance

SHERLOCKHOLMES

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Are you setup to view hidden and system files in Explorer? What makes you think the extra space is used by Windows? You could try using WinDirStat (Google it) to get a graphical view of your filesystem and hunt for large unwanted files.

3. SHERLOCKHOLMES

The reason that I think the unused space is in Windows is because when I open Windows Explorer and right click on the Windows Folder in the left hand pane and select properties it says that Windows is occupying 10.9 gigs of space. However if I go into the right hand pane and highlight all files and folders and then right click and go to properties it says that Windows is occupying 3.77 gigs of space.

I will try WinDirStat and see what I can find.

Thanks for your help. I will post what I find.

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try downloading and running Ccleaner from Piriform with all options checked.

5. SHERLOCKHOLMES

WinDirStat informs me that there is a huge file within Windows named Installer taking up 7.2 gigs which is exactly the space I am "missing." Is there any way I can eliminate these files without doing any harm to my system?

6. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try checking thier creation date, if they were created at a later time than the other Windows files then your system can run without them, but be sure to check for any other software was installed around the same time that may have dependancies on the folder.

7. SHERLOCKHOLMES

Rather than deleting these installer files; can I safely move them to my D drive to freeup space on my C drive? Would this create any conflicts in accessing anything?

Thanks for any info you can provide me.

8. shinybeast

shinybeast

Sure, if it causes a problem, you'll be notified. It sounds like a failed os install? or perhaps MS office leftovers or some other huge program? If you got the space, I'd move it and see what happens. I suspect that it won't be any problem. If it's not, then after a while go ahead and nuke it.
    If it was me, I'd be mighty curious about what put it there, though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice