1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

useless without help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gatewaytrble, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gatewaytrble

gatewaytrble Thread Starter

I have a gateway 2000 handbook 486. This particular notebook does not have any floppy drive or cdrom drives. It does how ever have a serial port and a parrallel port. I want to reinstall the windows 95 back on the computer but I dont know what type of drive I should use, and which port it appropriate. I am thinking about buying the windows 95 on floppies through ebay. please gvie me some ideas regarding this matter. thanks :)

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If it has no floppy drive how are you supposed to use the Win95 floppies you buy off ebay :( You need to re-think this thing. A compatible, with a 486, external floppy or CD-ROM drive. Usually those came with a external floppy drive from the factory.

3. gatewaytrble

The system was a hand down from my father.. A friend of his gave it to him. That is all he had.. Can I purchase any external drive for this ? or Does it have to be a gateway

4. 104456

As you have no external devices for the laptop then you are going to have to remove the hard drive and using a 3 1/2 to 2 1/2/ " adapter [ebay or pc parts] connect it to a desktop as a slave drive.
    Once this is done install windows cab files to a folder on the drive and to another folder install ALL the drivers needed for the system i.e motherboard graphics,sound etc as you wont be able to get them onto it any other way.
    You will then need to load system files to the hard drive to make it bootable within the laptop once reinstalled so that you can run the install from these folders without external media.

5. gatewaytrble

Will this work with the hard drive inside of the computer. There are no drive bays for me to remove the hard drive

6. 104456

If the laptop drive is not in a removable caddy then its usually accesable on some models by removing the keyboard.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gatewaytrble:

You may not want to hear this, but you're beating a dead horse. Windows 95 is on the "almost extinct" list and is no longer supported or provided with new updates. Your laptop is also very old and lacking necessary hardware(i.e CDROM and floppy drives). You would be much better off spending money for a new or refurbished laptop.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. gatewaytrble

I understand what you are saying.. but I do tech supporrt for a computer company that is not gateway.. and I am trying to solve this problem.. I dont use this computer on a daily basis..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice