1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usenet Applications

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by K Robins, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K Robins

K Robins Thread Starter

I am looking for a good Usenet application. I would like to be
    able to download it and use it for text and binaries both picture and music. I have tried the one through Outlook Express but the
    server I have to use does not give me many hits and besides this
    is a rather cumbersome system for downloading files. Would prefer not to have to sign up and pay for the Usenet but certainly don't mind paying for the shareware if it is good.

A second part of this is that a lot of the longer files now have
    extensions such as r1,r2....or c1.c2 ....or other letter designations. I think I have to do some kind of batch file but it takes forever to download all those files. Is there a way to have them all download overnight. Some application that allows me to set them all up to download one after the other...say overnight. I am not talking about mpg's or avi's or jpg's.

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I use Agent, from Forte, Inc. There is a free version, Free Agent, that is and has been one of the most popular news readers for many, many years:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

There are a number of other pay and free choices. Look here:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0,10151,0-10066-106-0-1-0,00.html?tag=dir

Or here:

http://www.tucows.com/news95.html

Most any of these news readers will let you download a large number of messages unattended. Some will have options that allow you to hang up the line when downloads are complete. With others, you may have to set your connection properties in Dial-up Networking to disconnect after a certain number of minutes of inactivity.

If you get Free Agent (and probably in most others), there is an option that prevents you from accidentally executing exe files (or other executables). In Free Agent it's under Options, General Preferences, Confirmations. I strongly advise you to enable it.

Also, if you are downloading split files, Free Agent will allow you to join them if they are simple multipart messages. These will be labeled filename.ext (1/2) (2/2), etc. Files split by a splitting program, and typically labeled filename.ext.001 .002 etc, (or, I presume r1, r2) require a batch program, as you said.

ALWAYS view the batch file in Notepad (right-click and select Edit) before launching it. .bat files can contain instructions that allow them to completely erase your hard drive, for example. As long as the commands inside are something like "copy/b filename.001 + filename.002", and it's only working with the files you downloaded, it's safe to run. Otherwise, don't run it.

Hope this helps!

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Just thought I'd add that the r1, r2...rn files are probably RAR files. These are compressed files like ZIP files, and you will need a program like WinRAR to decompress them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!