1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User Account access across the network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tiorum, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tiorum

Tiorum Thread Starter

Hi again,

As I am new to networking, I hope this isn't too noob a question. I have 4 machines on a network with a router/hub. I have various things stored on different machines, and don't really want to put them all in a central location. My question is that the way XP seems to work is that in order for one machine to log into another, each machine must have a seperate user name on each computer. Normally I foundn't find this to be a big deal, but now when you turn on the computer, you have to type a password when logging in (turning on) the machine. Before it would automatically log in that user. Is there some way to have all the permissions set for each machine but avoid this log hassle? With the exception of the kids machine, all the users would stay the same all the time. There wouldn't be a need to have so many accounts. The way I have it set up now, everything works but there are 4-5 accounts on each machine. Is there a better way?

Thanks

2. surfr

surfr

you could set it to auto logon and when it boots it should go directly into the specified profile. if you go to the user account in the control panel you should be able to disable secure login and get it to work.

3. Tiorum

Tiorum Thread Starter

I found this in the microsoft knowledge database for anyone who might want to know the solution which worked really well for me. I did the registry edit version.

How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

This article was previously published under Q315231
    IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.

Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SUMMARY
    This article describes how to configure Windows to automate the logon process by storing your password and other pertinent information in the registry

database. This feature allows other users to start your computer and use the account that you establish to automatically log on.

IMPORTANT: If you enable autologon, using Windows XP becomes more convenient.

However, using this feature can pose a security risk.
    MORE INFORMATION WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems

that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

If you set a computer for automatic logon, anyone who can physically gain access to the computer can also gain access to everything that is on the computer, including any network or networks that the computer is connected to.

In addition, if you enable automatic logon, the password is stored in the registry in plain text. The specific registry key that stores this value is remotely readable by the Authenticated Users group. As a result, using this setting is appropriate only if the computer is physically secured and if you ensure that untrusted users cannot remotely see the registry.

Use Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) to add your logon information:
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit,and then click OK to start Registry Editor.

Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry,

type your user name, and then click OK.
    Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.

If there is no DefaultPassword value, follow these steps to create the value:

On the Registry Editor menu, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.

Type DefaultPassword as the value name, and then press ENTER.
    Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.

If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to disable the AutoAdminLogon feature.

Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, follow these steps to create the entry:

On the Registry Editor menu, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.

Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
    Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.

Quit Registry Editor.
    Click Start, click Restart, and then click OK.
    After your computer restarts and Windows starts, you can log on automatically.
    If you want to bypass the automatic logon to log on as a different user, hold down the SHIFT key after you log off or after Windows restarts. Note that this procedure applies only to the first logon. To enforce this setting for future logoffs, the administrator must set the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value:ForceAutoLogon
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 1

You can also use the following steps to enable automatic logon without editing the registry in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional (not joined to a domain):

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
    In the dialog box that appears, clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, and then click OK.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you establish accounts for each machine on the others, and give them the proper permissions, you'll be all set. If you want to dispense with the passwords when you boot the machines, just set the option in Users and Passwords.

5. Tiorum

Tiorum Thread Starter

Without having passwords on the accounts, winXP wont recognize them on the network. Thats the first thing I tried. The post above fixed my problem. Thanks for the help.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For W2K or XP, you can autolog onto the network with a password, it's an option in Users & Passwords in control panel. I have my local machines all logon without any prompts, and they work just fine. Yes, they do have passwords. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/149030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice