1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User account backup prior to destructive recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ahender965, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ahender965

Ahender965 Thread Starter

Hello,

I work at a computer repair shop and am trying to find an easy way to do something that normally takes me a long time.

I want to take in a customers somputer who has multiple user accounts, backup those accounts without backing up the entire registry (entire registry backup would in effect "backup" most problems i am fiing), then do a "destructive recovery (totally reinstalling their OS, and then somehow restore all of their old user accounts and the associated settings, my documents folders, etc.

NTbackup will allow me to backup all accounts to an eternal HDD but it wont restore them if they are not on the newly installed OS.

If I ust Ntbackup to back up everyone then do a fresh install then manually re-create each user then restore from Ntbackup, the folders under documents and settings get a .000 extension. These extensions can't be changed due to Windows Permissions (they are required system folders) I could boot into a Ubuntu Live CD and change them but that is a hassle.

Any ideas on how to streamline this process, any utilities out there to remedy my problem.

Much apreciation to any and all who can help.

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Which Os are you using ?

3. SilentTim

SilentTim

Can't you just copy their folders under 'Documents and Settings', reinstall windows, then replace the default folders with those?

4. Ahender965

The OS I am using is WINXP. I could backup all of the doc and settings folders, reinstall windows, recreate each user name, tehn copy the contents of each backed up users folder into the newly created folders, but i am looking for a more sreamlined mehod. Thats a lot of pointing clicking and dragging and dropping when you work on 15 or 20 PCS a day.

Thanks again for any and all help.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Making a copy of the Documents and Settings folder and copying it back won't re-create the user accounts themselves. There's also a significant amount of system-specific and application-specific data that can't be backed up and restored that simply.

Perhaps someone who's in the same line of work as you can chime in, but if you're doing 15-20 full system reinstalls a day, there's just no way you can restore all user data, programs, and settings for every account on every computer.

6. Ahender965

I know tht simply copying their doc and settings folders wont recreate the users, thats WHY I AM ASKING FOR HELP TO RECREATE THE USERS. I also know about saving their application data and preferences etc thats why i mentioned that i am trying to use NTBackup (because it saves their settings and preferences for windows, as well as the contents of their my documents folders).

Anybody who can REALLY help instead of just restating my problem like double helix did, please help.

ALSO, THANKS FOR THE TIP ABOUT ASKING SOMEONE IN MY SAME LINE OF WORK FOR HELP...............WHAT A CLEVER IDEA...........WAIT ISNT THAT WHAT I AM DOING HERE. DUH!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I've never used it but it sounds like the Microsoft User State Migration Tool should do what you want.
    It backs up all user accounts with their files and settings (plus application settings if you choose) to an image file on your "server" (external drive if nothing else), then you can migrate them to the "new computer" when the OS is re-installed.

This technet article should be helpful.

HTH

Jerry

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice