1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User Account Control Notification and Admin Privileges

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BML, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I'm a new convert to win7 from XP so forgive the newbie questions ;) I have a program installed that came with my SSD hard drive by Samsung and every time I start windows I get a pop up box saying "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" Samsung Magician Application I click yes.

How do I make it stop notifying me on this? Under settings I lowered the bar to the 2nd notch up on the scale of "always" to "never". I can't eliminate notifications on a per application basis? I don't want to lower it to "never" because then I'll never be notified of something I might need to know.

Also... most times when I try to drag a file into another folder I get a pop up saying I need Administrator privileges to do this and I click "continue" but it does it anyway. When I installed windows I think I set myself as Administrator so I don't understand why it keeps telling me this but still performs the action.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows 7 has User Access Control (UAC) which confirms with the admin user that she is about to do system wide modifications. Thus you get a dialog box with the 'continue' button when performing administrative tasks. It is normal. The recommended method of operation is to use a Standard account for daily use and only login to the admin account when installing software or doing networking configurations. But many people use their admin account for daily use, so MS put in a layer between the admin and admin tasks. This is also done in part to thwart malware as the continue button shows up on a secure desktop ( notice the dimmed background ) that malware cannot access.

3. BML

BML Thread Starter

I looked at my user accounts and I see me, listed as Administrator, and I also see one called "ASP.NET Machine Account", standard user, password protected. What is this? I never created it so I do not have any password. I just did a clean install of windows 7.

If I create a new user account for myself, will all my programs work since I've been installing everything under this Admin account? Will I lose access to my documents?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You are a member of the "Admin Group, but NOT "The Administrator", which is the most top account on your system.

There are some thing that can ONLY be done by "The Administrator" account. One should not login using that account. It is your last resort back door if things go totally wrong. When needed, you will be asked if it is OK to use "The Administrator" account, and if you have set a password for it, then you would need to type the said password.

What user name do you use when you log in on boot up of Windows?

The ASP.NET is a machine account that the ".Net" needs and can only be use by the machine.

If your programs were installed for ALL users, which is the default for most programs, and new account will have access to them.

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

When I installed Windows and it asked me for a name I called it "Bruce". Now when I look at the user accounts my account is called "Bruce" and it says "administrator". I don't see anything about an admin group. The only users accounts listed are "Bruce", "asp.net", and "guest" which is turned off. The login screen only shows "Bruce" when I boot up.

If I create a new account should I set the notification level to zero? Or leave it elevated and it just won't ask me if I want to continue?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What does that "Samsung Magician Application" do? Do you really need it to run automatically at startup?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice