1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user account control

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gllund, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gllund

gllund Thread Starter

Everytime I log onto Pokerstars, I had to click continue from the Used Account Control to go to the website. Is ther anyway to disable this. I've tried searching here with no luck.
    Thanks
    Gord

2. malm123

malm123

yeah, go to control panel, then click user accounts. select your username and then click enable/disable user account control. this cuts the amunt of vista warnings you get in half. enjoy! :D

3. DKTaber

DKTaber

Have just seen this thread. Just bought a (ugh!) Vista computer only because the mobo on my XP machine is not working right. One of the first things I did was diable UAC. . . but the system's security keeps warning me that it's turned off. I KNOW IT'S TURNED OFF, AND IT'S ON PURPOSE! So how do I stop the pop-ups telling me all the time that it's turned off?

4. steveie85

steveie85

If you click Start --> Control Panel --> Security Center --> then on the left hand side of the screen you should see "change the way security center alerts me" then you can choose between 3 options, yes alert me, display security center icon or no don't alert me at all. The last part is your choice.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Be aware there is some programs out there that REQUIRE that the UAC be turned ON in order the program to be INSTALLED.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Pray tell what programs? I have installed 80 programs to 2 pc's and am yet to find one that stopped me for that reason.

7. gllund

gllund Thread Starter

I don't want the whole user account control down, just the Pokerstars icon on my desktop that I click on to get to my Pokerstar account.
    Thanks
    Gord

8. DKTaber

DKTaber

Thank you. I've had that screen open 2-3 times since getting the computer last week, but missed seeing those options.

9. steveie85

steveie85

Your welcome DKTaber. I know it can be easy to miss since its hidden under everything else. I had to look about 5 times to find it!!

10. DKTaber

DKTaber

I find many things are that way in Windows, and especially in Vista.

Vista has aggrevated me in so many ways on this 1-week-old computer that I've decided to sell it and get a new one with XP. I'm getting 16-sec. delays to open a window when I select "Open Office document" the first time after booting up (quicker after that because it's in the cache); 10-sec. delays to open a blank e-mail message form (sometimes so long the title bar displays "Not responding", after which the message opens), etc. Windows Mail was a total shock. It does not allow identities like we always had in OE. I MUST separate my business and personal mail, so had two e-mail addresses in two identities. I can separate INCOMING e-mail into different folders in Windows Mail using message rules, but there are no message rules applicable to SENT mail, and I want my sent mail separated in the same way. OE also used to allow you to arrange names by first-last or last, first just by clicking the column header. Can't do that with Windows Mail and it imported almost all of my addresses in first-last order. That required me to spend about 4 hours manually switching all of them (I have about 1,000 addresses stored) to last, first.

So, yes, it's going to cost me to sell a 1-week-old computer, but IMO it's worth every penny to get rid of Vista. May after Vista SP-2, I'll reconsider.

11. steveie85

steveie85

I don't have that probablem, I mean when Office 2007 open it takes a few seconds. When I open Windows mail for the first time after booting it is slow. But you can download Windows Live Mail. How much ram do you have in the computer? Do you have sidebar running? Microsoft did kinda bomb the sidebar. 1GB ram is better, I am running 1.5GB and Office takes about 5seconds to open.

12. DKTaber

DKTaber

The computer has 2GB RAM. I do not run the Sidebar. Individual Office programs open quickly and shortcuts on the Desktop to specific Office files (e.g., a specific database, Excel workbook, Word document) open quickly --actually quicker than on my XP machine, I think. It's only when you click the Start button and double-click "Open Office document" from the Start menu that it's slow to open the window from which you last opened an Office document (approx. 1/4 minute). As I say, it only happens the first time after bootup, because apparently that goes into the cache and the next time you use that same short-cut to open an Office doc, it's acceptably quick.

I'm not familiar with Windows Live Mail, but from the name it sounds like Web mail. I prefer to use an e-mail client on my PC where I have total control. . . for example, I can keep the e-mail as long as I want and actually keep my business e-mails for one year. Most Web mail doesn't provide each user enough diskpak space to do that. Comcast, for example, allows only 250MB for each e-mail address, so I get "storage space is full" long before I have a year of e-mails. I will, however, check it out.

13. steveie85

steveie85

They have created a non-web version of Windows Live Mail. That is wierd that it is taking so long. When I go to start and click one Office 2007 Word it takes about 10seconds for it to fire up and be ready for me to type. With 2GB of ram your computer should be able to do those tasks quicker then mine, as I only have a total of 1.4GB(on board video takes up 128MB).

14. DKTaber

DKTaber

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying is slow. Word (the program or any file created with Word that I double-click) opens in 1-2 sec. -- virtually instantaneous. Large Access databases open in 3-4 sec. The things that take WAY too long are (a) click 'Open Office document' on the Start menu (takes 16 sec. to open the window from which you select the document to open); (b) create a new e-mail (7-8 sec.); (c) click the "To:" icon to find the person(s) you want to put in the To: dialog box on a new message (takes 6-7 sec. to open the address book). A lot of Web pages are also slow to display, which I suspect is due to the slow video card. It is DEFINITELY not my ISP; I have broadband cable that tests on Speakeasy at 19-30Mbps depending on time of day (no, the numbers are not missing a decimal; I really get up to 30 [not 3] megabits/sec. download speed).

15. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I am NOT telling as I am a "Believer" in the the use of the UAC. Any one that has problems installing a "Vista compliant" version of a program with UAC turned OFF should try doing it with it ON.

I do know that one is a Adobe product and another is a Family research program.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice