1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User Account empty, files elsewhere! How do I fix?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stevebydac, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevebydac

stevebydac Thread Starter

I need help reorganizing my files, and I'd appreciate some guidance so I don't screw up. :) I have Windows XP. I changed the name of some files as I was trying to neaten my filing, and I messed up.

I have three User Accounts:
    Steve
    Ian
    Guest (Guest has always been empty, no problem.)

But when I log onto Steve, my file folders for all of my documents are there, but there is nothing in them!! My Firefox default home pages are also erased, and my Thunderbird email is also empty!!:eek:

If I go in Ian (my coworker's User Account), under My Computer>Files Stored On This Computer are listed:
    Shared Documents
    Guest's Documents
    Ian's Documents
    Steve Smith's Documents - files are there, but empty :(

If I go Ian>My Computer>Local Disc C>Documents & Settings, I see a whole pile of files! They are:
    All Users
    Default User
    Guest SS
    Owner
    Steve
    Steve's Guest
    Steve's Guest (2)
    Steve's Guest(3) -- <<< This is where my documents are(y)

My Firefox information seems to be in C:\Documents and Settings\Steve's Guest(s)(3)\My Documents\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5ebb3ozr.default

My Thunderbird email MIGHT be in C:\Documents and Settings\Steve's Guest(s)(3)\My Documents\Application Data\Thunderbird as my mailbox configuration is there and I seem to have a loaded Inbox, but nothing in my Sent box, or so it appears. :confused:

I need to place my documents from Steve's Guest(3), plus my Firefox settings and Thunderbird emails back onto the User Account Steve. How do I get them there without losing them?

Thanks! :)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

In the account that all of the data is right now just backup to another media like CD-R's or DVD and then go into thew correct account and restore them to the account. You need to backup this information no matter what happens since you do not want to loose it. I do not know what happened to change the accounts like this but you might have to reforamt and re-install everything if copying this info back to your account does not work

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!