User account logoff problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DonXP

Operating system: windows xp sp2

When any user account logs off most of the time the following window appears:

program "hv4tK3y7d9DD89Cr1Je1w24+defaultCFG+DesktopSearchEngine" not responding,click "end now" or "cancel" . Clicking either of these options allows the logoff to complete.

You can logon and then logoff without doing anything and there is no problem, but using IE or AOL etc the problem is generated, but you don't know it until you attempt to logoff.

I have run various virus and adware/spyware programs and nothing is found, so it looks like the system is clean right now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

DonXP

since you mentioned aol, why not uninstall it for while and see if you still have the issues...also does this happen to every user that logs in?

DonXP

It does happen to all user accounts. I guess I could uninstall AOL. I have two different versions installed. One is AOL 9.0 Security Edition and the other is AOL OpenRider Beta version 2.

My main concern about this problem is that maybe there is a virus or malware that could have been installed that could be causing the problem and it's not being found by all the detection programs I am running.

Hi Don,
What I'm referring to are "warnings", not errors, in the Applications section of Event Viewer.
The source is Userenv and the ID numbers are 1517 and 1524. If you have those, the UPHClean will help. Otherwise, I don't know what would be causing IE and AOL to not unload.

Sincerely, Libra

DonXP

Sorry I meant warnings not errors. I did find the file: desktopSearchEngine.dll in an AOL directory.

Yesterday I used Firefox all day and had no problems at logoff. Today I am using IE only to see what happens. If there are no problems, it looks like AOL might be the source of the problem and I will talk to them. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online