1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User account password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by greatbigmouth, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greatbigmouth

greatbigmouth Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I would like to know if it is possible to change a setting somewhere that ONLY my account can change my password and modify settings. Yesterday I've found out that all other admin accounts are also able to modify my password and all my settings. How can I change this so that only MY account can do this?

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

PS: I won't be able to make the others limited, they have to remain admin.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Admins have complete control over user passwords, and also whether each user is allowed to change their own or not. That's what admins do. There is no way of blocking admin control.

3. Lance1

Lance1

By applying the appropriate security settings for users and groups and ownership of the profile in question you should be able to lock out all but yourself. Besides, if another administrator wanted to change your password they would have to know your current password to be able to change it. Keep your password secure and to yourself only.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

An admin could just remove the requirement for a password, re-instate it, and then apply a new password, all without knowing the original.

5. Lance1

Lance1

And they say XP is secure! :rolleyes: There are so many black holes in Windows it isn't funny.:eek:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's what administrators are supposed to do. In a large corporation, can you imagine how many dunderheads would forget their passwords on a given day?

7. Lance1

Lance1

A corporate environment is controlled through the server, and yes the admin has full control. What about a standalone system? Is that not a different animal in itself? Should not one user have the ability to lock out other users from there profiles as by taking ownership? And would this not also take in the ability to control passwords on that particular profile?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

In a case like that, all users should be running as limited users, There should be only one administrator for situations that require the increased control. It is not recommended that users operate in admin accounts for day-to-day use. That's the first account that hacks and malware look for, and hope to find holes opened by an admin account being logged into.

9. The Hound

The Hound

Very existential..but not very practical in the real world.
    Multilple Administrators on one computer kind of makes the term 'Administrator' meaningless.

10. Lance1

Lance1

Thanks Elvandil for you input but I am still curious as to users and groups and ownership in a multiple user standalone environment. By removing all but yourself from users and groups and taking complete ownership of the profile would you not affectedly lock all but yourself out?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Exactly. The person assigned administrator privileges should be the person who is going to actually "administer" the system. If someone has a third-grade mentality and can't refrain from snooping or pulling password pranks, then that person should not have admin rights to begin with.

All other users should be limited users, or, in some selected cases, Power Users.

12. greatbigmouth

greatbigmouth Thread Starter

So there is absolutely no way to prevent other admin accounts from changing my password?

The reason why I don't want to change the other accounts is because we share this computer with others in the house, all have their own user account. All need admin rights for what they do. We all install programs, change a few settings here and there, etc. That's why we all need admin rights. I just think that this is a serious glitch in the system that others can actually change your password with the click of a mouse. :(

13. The Hound

The Hound

Your own system with one Admin--You---is the only solution I see here.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

I guess I don't understand. If you remove everyone but you from the Users and Groups, then it is no longer a "multi-user" environment--you are the only user on the machine. In that case, if there is no administrator password, anyone can log in as admin and take ownership of everything. Just hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice on the logon screen.

Admins can take ownership of anything away from anybody. So, no, you can't lock out the admins. That would lead to chaos. It would be pretty difficult to administer without full control, or help people recover from their own errors.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice