1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User account problem ; cannot access administrator

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jonny p, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

My 15 year old son was trying to bypass Cyberpatrol and in the process of tring to change his account from an adminstrator to a standard user I've made things worse. I changed the administrator account in his name to a standard user account but there was no other administrator account on the PC other then something called CYBERPATROL_SERVICE which is an administrative account istalled automatically by Cyberpatrol. This was the first mistake. Then he guessed the password to Cyberpatrol and attemped to uninstall it...it only 'half' uninstalled it, leaving a real mess of error messages and no access to let me change anything. I can now neither reinstall cyberpatrol or unistall it, nor can I see a way to log back in as an administrator to effect any changes to put things right. Three emails to cyberpatrol have elicited no response so I'm coming to the conclusion the onlu way out is to reinstall Windows 7 and find a different web filtering program- is there any way to log back in a an administrator? I didnt delete the admin account, only changed it to a standard type. Then If I can get back in as a administrator how can I get rid of the unwanted Cyberpatrol?
    Thanks for any suggestions......

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you did not activate the special built-in Administrator account and have no administrator user account the next step is to reinstall (or "recover to factory defaults") Windows. Then create an administrator account for yourself with a good strong password and a standard user account for your son. :)

Windows 7 includes "Parental Controls." You've looked at them and they are not sufficient for your needs?

3. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice TerryNet-I did not activate the hidden adminstrator account prior to the above issues...I read up a little on the subject and tried to activate it from the standard user account using command prompt, but got the message 'access is denied'. I see there is a way in theory to activate it using reg edit...but it looks a bit daunting and don't know if I will be access the registry with cyberpatrol still active- suppose its worth a go a to see if it works...nothing to loose if the next step is to recover to factory defaults....!!
    Is there a difference in fact between 'recover to factory defaults' and 'reinstallation'?

Re; Windows 7 parental controls, I think it doesn't include general web filtering...only barring specific sites which you have to nominate...correct me if i'm wrong.?.I was looking at K9 or AVG free versions...I would prefer to use Microsoft product if effective for compatibility.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using a Recovery partition or set of Recovery disks to "recover to factory defaults" should return the system to the way it was when you bought the machine--same drivers, same OEM supplied software, same bloatware, etc.

Installing means to use a Windows installation DVD (which OEMs seldom supply anymore) to install just the operating system; there will be no extra software or bloatware and there may be missing drivers.

In practical terms the difference really depends on what media you happen to have.

I don't know what the Windows 7 parental controls do or do not do. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of them.

5. jonny p

jonny p Thread Starter

Ah OK , the installation was on a new harddrive using Win 7 home premium 64 bit, no recovery partition...so its a reinstall ...one more try at regedit to login as Administrator first!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice