1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user accounts fast switching no longer works.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jascoesens, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jascoesens

jascoesens Thread Starter

Hi all,
    The "Fast Switching" between user accounts is no longer working, (for ~ 9 months now).
    In the ""User Accounts" both the "Use Welcome screen" and the "Use Fast User Switching" options are selected.
    When selecting Start>Log Off> Switch User, I get a "computer locked" pop-up. the current User name is shown in the User Name line . It demands the associated user's Password and then completely logs off the current user; closing all files that had been open.
    This is a real PITA when another user wants to get on briefly to check email or whatever.
    Any suggestions for correcting this issue?
    Thanks!

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

One thing to check

make sure that the Terminal Services and the Fast User
    Switching Compatibility services are set to Automatic and running. use the
    Services applet ("Services.msc" from Start-Run) to manage Windows Services.

3. jascoesens

Blackmirror,
    Terminal Services & Fast User Switching Compatibilities were already set to "Automatic" and were "Started".
    Also have checked and tried "Steve's" solution posted Nov 5, 2007 to no avail.
    Any more suggestions?

4. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

5. jascoesens

Hey all,

I've checked kelly's korner and clicked on line 34. HOWEVER.....I don't have a clue what to do with what I see. My experience level is probably between a beginner and intermediate (a begintermediate?). I usually know enough to ask for help before screwing something up.
    Can someone talk me through this fix? I would assume that I would need to create a "Restore Point" first off. But then what?
    Thanks!
    jascoesesn

6. Lance1

Lance1

Go to line 34 and right click fast user switching and save link as. Set save as type to all files and name it fast user switching.reg and save it to the desktop. Go to the desktop and double click it and say OK to insert it to the registry.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice