1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"User Accounts" in Control panel wont Open-Error is "Html application Host Error"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xpsolutions?, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsolutions?

xpsolutions? Thread Starter

I cannot open User Accounts in Control Panel, I keep getting ...

Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Anyone with a fix? . My appreciations in advance!

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

Do you have a recovery restore install disc or partition?
    You can try doing a repair or system file check...
    Scan For Missing/Corrupt System Files...

Windows XP comes with a wonderful tool called System File Checker (SFC)
    Itscans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer...
    To Do This:
    Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
    In the small box that Opens, type the three letters: cmd then click the OK button.
    In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white text), type the following command:
    SFC /scannow
    And then click OK
    You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run SFC..
    You will need your Windows XP CD during this procedure if SFC needs to get an original file. Please remember that Windows XP can have multiple instances of a .DLL file and remember which version is for which program.
    Notes....
    I have been asked if it is possible to have a "progress meter" show when SFC runs... This is the registry hack you need. PLEASE do not go messing with your registry if you do NOT know what you are doing!
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    Value Name: SFCShowProgress
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!