User accounts using hardware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LaurenMH

Hi all :)

I connect to the internet using a vodaphone dongle.

My laptop is occasionally used by other people to go online. If they log in to the "guest" account, they cannot connect or use the dongle. It only works using my (adminstrator?) account.

Don't want to be having to change my password all the time to protect sensitive info....

What can I do??

Thanks,
a blonde

Hi Lauren,

It sounds like the Guest account does not have the rights to install the hardware; if the dongle uses the USB port, I've seen a few devices that need to be installed for each user.

A quick solution would be to log in as yourself and open the Control Panel, then User Accounts. Designate the Guest account as a Computer Administrator (or add the Guest account to the Administrators group; both perform the same function). Log out, then log in to your Guest account and install the dongle. Once that is installed, log out and log back in as yourself and remove the administrative rights to the guest account. This should allow the dongle to continue working for any of your friends that would like to use it.

Hope this helps! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online