User accounts Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bahookie

This is my laptop.
Obviously my user account is an administrator account.

Recently, I am receiving messages that I am "not an administrator on this account and do not have permission.."

When I got to user accounts in control panel, it says under my name (Jane) .. Administrator, however, if I go into "change account type", Standard user is ticked, and when I try to change this to administrator, the Change account type button is greyed out.
I seem to have the option of standard user or.. standard user.

Ok, so there is one particular folder I need to be able to write to, which is
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc filename hosts.
I right clicked on this file and gave myself ownership of it, which really should've sorted the problem of not being able to fffaafffin write to it, however...no. No such luck

I can't, and it's chewing my brain.

I did suspect that this has changed since I downloaded and installed both mcafee and norton from comcast, however a call to their tech help got the answer "nohhh, computer, says... nohhhh" Ok, this might be the case, but I'm was not convinced either way.

Does anyone have any ideas? This has effectively left my wee laptop without an effective administrator and I do not feel 3 laws safe.

Many thanks from a rapidly aging mum. I am an immigrant to your technological world, so please be gentle.
:)

bahookie

PS apologies for the repetition of effective. Also, I thought I should add that there are no other users on this computer capable of changing user account types, so that can be ruled out.
I double checked just to make sure :)

can you open cmd.exe enter this 'net user Jane' and tell me what is there, there should be that you are in group Administrators, and do you have UAC on?

I'll try to be as descriptive as I can.. what I am about to show you is only known by a few groups of admins.

Click on Start then click on Run, If you don't see Run click on the window key + R
(key between the left CTRL & left ALT) + R
on the box that opens type in "control userpasswords2" (Without Quotes) this will fire up a window "User Accounts"

Now (√) Users Must enter a user name and password to use this computer
Now under Users For this Computer:
Select Your UserName "Jane"
then Select Properties
On the Properties Tab select Group Membership Tab
Now Select Administrator (Administrators Group)
Select Apply then click on OK then again Apply & OK
Now Restart your computer & you'll have your user account as administrator

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online