1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user accounts window is now blank??!!!???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jimmy23, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy23

Jimmy23 Thread Starter

Hi all, thanks for your time in advance. This is a weird story but I think all elements are related.

So I fairly recently started working with XP. I received a computer from a friend and it was set up to where I had to click on the user name when it booted up or came back from a screensaver. I thought this was pretty annoying, so when I found out a way to just boot right up with admin account, I set it up that way.

I just recently had a bout with a trojan, which I seem to have gotten rid of, but there is a possibility I may have gotten rid of something I needed because I can't seem to boot up in safe mode, but that is not my main problem.

I had been trying to install zone alarm and it wouldn't let me. I thought it might be some piece of a virus I still had or something like that. Did a lot of searching around and found out is was Norton antivirus that was causing the problem. I couldn't seem to shut the program(norton) down, and I couldn't find an uninstall file in the folder, so I went to remove programs. Here's where it gets interesting. I click on norton, hit remove, then go to the other room to do something. I here the windows warning note(assuming that it was probably saying I had to reboot. Unfortunately, I heard the shutting down music after that, which I thought was a bit odd. When my computer booted back up, that annoying user screen was back, and when I clicked on it, it prompted me for my password, which caused a brief panic as I tried to remember what it was. I am rather puzzled at this particular turn of events.

So anyway, I went to open the user accounts window to get things back the way I had them, and there is nothing in the window. All I have are navigation buttons on the top. Any ideas about the cause of this? TIA!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice