1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user.dat problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by scottoffski, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottoffski

scottoffski Thread Starter

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how to remove url's that remain in user.dat? I have removed them all in regedit, but they still remain when you look at the contents of the file with wordpad. I have tried various registry cleaners, scanreg/ opt, scanreg/ fix etc in the hope that they would be overwritten, but with no success. I assume that they are logically rather than physically deleted, but I'd like to get rid of them completely if possible! I'm running win98se. Thanks a lot.

2. TOGG

TOGG

Javacool's MRU Blaster claims to clean User Assist files, which are details of urls retained in two specific Registry keys. I assume that is what you are talking about, rather than index.dat files?. MRUBlaster hasn't been updated for a long time, but I don't think that affects its capabilities. I've been using it for some time on my 98 comp and my User Assist files are either non-existent or empty.

More details about User Assist files, and a viewer called User Assist Spy, can be found here; http://www.utdallas.edu/~jeremy.bryan.smith/ (look under 'Articles' then 'Explorer Spy)

3. scottoffski

Hi, thanks, I will try MRU Blaster. Basically I have deleted all the url entries in the registry using regedit, but when you view the user.dat file with wordpad, there are still loads of urls in there - most of them really old.

4. TOGG

TOGG

If you use the Helamonster 'User Assist Spy' tool, you can see what is being stored before you try MRUBlaster. I would be interested to know the result.

5. scottoffski

Thanks Togg, but I can't make the user assist spy tool work - I unzipped it into a directory, but it can't find the registry keys - do I need to unzip it into somewhere particular? Also, do you know why urls appear when you open user.dat in wordpad, but are not present when you search for them in regedit? Thanks for all your help!

6. TOGG

TOGG

Unfortunately, I am not a very savvy Windows user, so all my unzipped files end up in a part of my C drive cleverly called 'unzipped', which I locate by using Windows Explorer. My copy is 'userass 1.2.1.0', so you might try doing a 'Find Files' for that and see what comes up.

When I try to open User Assist Spy, I get an error message to the effect that Windows cannot ' load the file specified, which probably just means that the keys have been deleted or logging has been disabled (so there are no keys to load)' Rightly or wrongly, I take that to be good news!

Alternatively, you could check the two registry keys mentioned in Helamonster's article and see what they contain (bearing in mind that they may be encrypted); HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}Count and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}Count

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice