1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user name and password?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by savtherock, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. savtherock

savtherock Thread Starter

I just brought 2 used DELL POS systems for my restaurant, everything turned on fine, i checked the internet and the touchscreen functions worked fine. I installed the treatware software (support system) when finishing up the install it asked me to restart to complete installation. when resarted it prompted me with a windows username and password. I dont understand why it asked me now as i was able to use the pc before installing treatware. i contacted treatware and they have no idea, i contacted dell and they say i may need to reinstall windows xp professional and its drivers (headache). Can anyone help me so i dont have to do this?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I see you skipped over the Forum rules on your way in.
    http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

3. savtherock

sorry about that, why would the windows username and password pop up after i installed the software, i could do other stuff before without any notification of logging in?

4. Megabite

Megabite

I understand it is annoying but are hands are tied here.

5. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

The software may have added a new user account and that then requires you to select an account and login.

How many accounts are listed in the Control Panel, user accounts?

6. savtherock

the only thing i have on the screen is the user name and password box, how do i get the control panel up to take a look?

7. DaveA

You must type in a user name and a password if one is being used.
    In your case, type the old user name that the system was using before the install, and then try just the enter key as a password.

Once you get logged in, then you can go to Control Panel, User Accounts and there you will see what accounts have been set up.

8. savtherock

thats the problem, there was no username until i installed the software

9. DaveA

Yes there was, as since Window 98 a User name was required.

Some OEMs used owner as the default User name.

10. savtherock

whats puzzeling me is that i turned the pc on, browsed the internet without entering any usernames or passwords? only after i installed the software was windows asking me for a username and password

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

It is possible to set Windows to automatically login to a specific user account (but only if the account is password protected). Perhaps the "treatware software" (about which I know nothing) unset that option. After all, it is a dangerous option to use if non-authorized users have physical access to the machine.

12. DaveA

If a system has only one account and is not passworded the system will default that account and startup Windows.

Then when a second account is added, one needs to type in the users name in you case, or if the Welcome screen is set to be used, then on must select the account that one wants to use.

If you were to try and start it up in the "Safe mode" and use the enter key as the password, you MAY be able to see what accounts are there. If so, then you may be able to turn on the Welcome screen.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059696