1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User Name and Passwords in workgroups

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nbell, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbell

nbell Thread Starter

I own and operate an orphanage in China. (I'm a USA citizen) We have ten computers in our establishment that all run WINXP SP2 and are all networked in one single work group. We have no problems with the network. It works fine. However, in setting this up I did something RIGHT with one of the computers that I can't seem to match with the others.

On this one computer when you attempt to access a shared file, folder or drive it asks for a username and password. Once that is given (and of course it has to be one of the names with "permission") it will allow you access. If you don't give it one of the "permitted" user names and passwords it won't allow access.

I want to do this on all the computers so that only certain people can in fact access the shared folders since we have about ten teenagers in our orphanage now who are quickly becoming computer savy and the shared folders are mostly for the administration staff of the orphanage and I don't want many of our files experimented with by curious teenagers.

I have looked and looked through all the "snap ins" on the computer that is set up the way I like it and I can't for the life of me find anything different than what is on the others.

All the computers have the same administrator and same password associated with the administrator.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to make all shared resources on all the computers only available to the other stations and users who have the correct user name and password?

Please help. I can also be reached at [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you so much in advance.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want to restrict access this way, there are two ideas that come to mind:

1. On the computer that has the files, remove any of the other user accounts that are being used on the other computers (except the ones you want to be able to connect).

2. On the connecting computers, remove all the login accounts that also have accounts on the computer with the files.

In either case, they should be prompted for a user name and password when trying to access shared files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice