1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User Profile corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by danielleroe12, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielleroe12

danielleroe12 Thread Starter

Hello,

I booted up my HP Pavilion dv4 laptop this morning (just over 1 year old, running Windows Vista 64 bit) and everything was "gone." This has happened before - I received the "your user profile did not load correctly, you are logged into a temporary profile" type message last time, but not this time. However, I assumed it was the same thing, and went about following the instructions that solved the problem last time.

I went into my control panel, user accounts, created a new account, changed the name of the "corrupt" account, logged into a previous set up (but otherwise blank) account to copy the files from the old corrupt account to the new one. When I got to the step instructing me to "configure advanced user profile properties" my progress was stopped. When I open this window, instead of a list of user profiles on the computer, the only listed profile is the one I'm presently logged into. No option for opening one and copying files to another.

Additionally, when I got into Computer -> Local disk (C:) -> Users ... the different users are all listed (new, blank, and old - but not renamed). The newly renamed folder is not there. When I open the various folders, most are blank, and I can't find my documents.

Again I assume my documents are still there because my disk space does not seem to have gone down, but I can't find them to move them.

Any help or troubleshooting (or redirecting this question to a different forum, if needed) is greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
    Danielle

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

One thing to try is go to folder options and un-hide everything.

This is normal, it will rename everything but the user folder, this is by design.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!