1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User profile corrupted and access to the C: Drive is denied for other users

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Antibody, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antibody

Antibody Thread Starter

(I have Windows XP Professional 32-bit)

A few hours ago I went away from my computer for a few minutes and discovered that there was a BSOD being displayed. I didn't think to write down the error code (doh) and instead just restarted the computer. When I got to the sign in screen and tried to sign into my only user account, it started to load and after a few seconds a pop-up appeared with a 30-second countdown that said:

"User Environment
    Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."

(Note that this is a home computer)

After clicking "OK" before the "Time Remaining" countdown ran out, this message appeared:

"User Environment
    Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

This also had a countdown and when I clicked the OK button, it loaded the new profile which had the same name and security permissions as my regular profile has, but otherwise looked like a new profile. I checked my local disk drive and all of my files appeared to be safe and sound, so I went searching to find how to fix this.

The first link I found was this. I followed the instructions and made a new profile to copy the files to, and another new profile to act as a middleman. I finished step 2 in the "Copy files to the new user profile" section, but despite both of them appearing to be administrators, when I try to access the C:\ drive from either one I get an error that says "C:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." So I went off searching again to find a solution to this new problem, and found this link. I was able to complete all of the steps in it, but the error was not resolved.

So that's the situation. I'm now stuck using a temporary user profile while all of my files are being kept from me on my own hard drive. Can anybody help me out? I'm computer literate when it comes to average tasks but I'd appreciate if any steps involving something even a little advanced (such as using the command prompt) could be detailed enough to prevent me from screwing something up. Thanks a lot!

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello and welcome to TSG Forums.

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 before XP loads, then log in to the Administrator account. Go through the process of taking ownership of all the relevant files and folders in the name of the new User Account then restart back into Normal Mode and see if it worked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!