1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user profile for main user gone after update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tp2373, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

Yesterday early am I did a Windows update with a total of 18 important updates, and 3 optional updates..all completed successfully, but when system restarted , I got message saying that c:\user\curt\profile had problems , and a temp profile was used... most of the folders and apps I had on desktop were gone, so I did a system restore to point previous to the update.. a lot of the apps came back ok, but all of my folders which had spreadsheets, or data files are still gone. I know the names of some of them, and when I search for them , it says that : example : c:user\curt\desktop\smitty hours.xlsx shortcut is no longer there.. same with all of them. Tried another system restore back to several days before the issues, but still no help.. Something tells me that I have bit the big one, and all of these are gone for good as none of them show up on desktop any longer.. Am I correct? and if so, let this be a lesson and don't put files/folders on the desktop, but rather put them into MyDocs or somewhere else?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8075 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 295335 MB, Free - 239191 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, 423662U
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't recall seeing that error message before. Most times the message is "The User Profile Service failed the logon.”

Even though you got a different message I would still first suspect that the cause is a glitch--that will go away after a Restart--or a corrupted profile. Assuming a corrupted profile the remedial action should be to use a different user account, copy all the files that can be retrieved, and then abandon the old account.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are reasons for not storing many files on the Desktop, but no matter where they are on the hard drive if they have any importance they should be backed up at least once on other media (or the cloud).

4. tp2373

tp2373 Thread Starter

copying all of the files that can be retrieved ... none of them as the shortcut to all of them apparently no longer exists... in the process of copying the files from the backup now, but have apparently lost everything since last complete backup... Live and learn, and thanks for the help.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Hope your last backup wasn't too long ago.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice