1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

user profile gets corrupted repeatedly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TERRY08, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TERRY08

TERRY08 Thread Starter

Hi there

I have Windows 2000 Professional on my PC. I repeatedly get my profile corrupted. Can anybody figure out the reason and suggest a solution
    Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sure sounds like a disk problem of some kind. But it could be as simple as the registry failing to unload in a timely manner.

This is not likely to solve the problem, but it couldn't hurt. Try running the 'User Profile Hive Cleanup Service". It cleans up some registry messes and helps the hive to unload when it is stubborn.

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=7872

3. TERRY08

TERRY08 Thread Starter

Thanks

I installed the service and understand that it slows the logging off process to release the application handles. I'll monitor and see if this works for me.

4. TERRY08

TERRY08 Thread Starter

The service that I installed isn't doing much, I am still having problems of profile getting corrupt. But I am monitoring the processes opened in user profile hive that prevent the profile to unload. I found from one logged event that the process WINLOGON.EXE is doing this. Now, I don't know if this process is the culprit all the time. Sometimes, the event is logged and sometimes it doesn't. It's only one time that I caught this so far. I'll still continue to monitor this if this is process involved everytime. But if it is, what could be the possible solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/230987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice