User Profile Service Problem. Can only use Safe Mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

silversuriv

I have Vista Home Premium. I only have 1 administrative account and the guest account has been turned off. Originally my user profile was not loaded and a temp account was loaded for me. What i noticed was that the documents and settings folder was gone. I know that it is just a junction folder leading to the user folder but i thought that the profile was not loaded correctly because the filepath was like c\documents and settings\user or something for loading the original profile. so what i did was make things worse :( i completely moved my account folder (named Tim which is located in the user folder) to a hidden folder called default which is also located in the user folder. Because of this, my computer wont even give me a temp user to use. now when i start up my computer, it says user profile service failed the logon, then goes back to the users screen, which only has 1 user, Tim, the non working one. I don't have a guest user or anything else to click on. I have to go into safe mode to do anything but i cant create another user or anything because i dont have administrative power. i only had 1 account with administrative power and i turned off the guest account. am i dead or what. BTW, Ive tried the popular vista tutorial that every1 keeps referring me to that has 2 options or hwatever and it didnt work for me. i tried enabling the hidden admin thing using cmd and it came up with some password garbage so nothing. i tried editing my regedit but nothing happened. it assumed u were using another administrative account.

I didn't think it was possible to get into Safe Mode without Administrative rights.

Is "System Restore" accessible to you there? run: rstrui.exe and try that if you can

Is this what you tried to enable the built-in Adminstrative account? >>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555910

I have no idea what "password" garbage you are referring to; it is just asking you to create one for the built-in administrative account.

The only other suggestion I might have for you is to connect the HD to another system as a slave, and manually move back any files and directories you moved before.

You can also use bootdisks like http://www.ubcd4win.com/ if you have an XP installation disk to create it with.

Puppy linux will also offer access to the drive -- but you need to be a little bit experienced with Linux to use it efficiently >>

http://www.puppylinux.com/

silversuriv

last night anything that required administrative rights just wouldnt pop up. now i can get the rights in safe mode. i cant do system restore cuz i turned off the computer making restore points since it kept racking up points taking about 32 gbs. i was able to reactivate my guest account so i'm using that right now. i made another user account with administrative rights but the problem is that the user just doesnt load. when i try to switch to the new user, it says welcome, then says logging off.

Sooner or later everyone who disables System Restore regrets it.

Hard to understand how you can boot to the desktop in a Guest account but not a newly created Administrative account. Typically the logging off issue is a malware related one occasionally due to improper removal of a "userinit" file or registry entry. Are you actually trying to boot to this account, or just "switch" to it?

You should enable the built-in account for safety.

Will the new account boot in Safe Mode or in a "Clean Boot"?

Vista Clean Booting: >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << written for Vista but apples equally to XP

silversuriv

ive tried to load into the newly created administrative accounts in safe mode but it wouldnt even go in. i even created a regular user and couldnt get on that in safe mode either. i tried to safe boot on my original account but it didnt work i believe, because after disabling all services i wasnt even able to get in normally. i'm guessing that it wasnt a service problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online