1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User settings lost after Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rocksoldier72, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocksoldier72

rocksoldier72 Thread Starter

So, on June 22, I shut down the PC and ok the Windows Update. I turn the PC on today, it still shows the four users that we have built into the PC, but when I log into my user, all user settings are gone! My favorites are gone, Outlook Express, MS Outlook, my Quick Launch, Desktop background and icons, everything tied to my user is gone. When I launch My Computer and go into the "User's Documents" folder, it does not have my settings (Favorites, etc).
    BUT, when I drill into the file structure and go to my "User" folder under "Documents and Settings", the Favorites and many other settings are in there. My Programs seem to be all there (except Google Chrome is mysteriously gone). I'm hoping my emails from OE and MS Outlook are still somewhere.
    Is there a quick fix? Turns out some of the Windows Updates cannot be uninstalled! If not, where would my Outlook Express settings be stored?
    These are the updates that were added:
    KB961118
    KB925720
    Windows Imaging Component (cannot be removed)
    KB954550-v5 (cannot be removed)
    And a large number of Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 updates. (15 of them)
    And a large number of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 updates. (13 of them)
    I can list the .NET updates if it will help.

I am running Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service pack 2.

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. dhanubaba

dhanubaba

Check ur user acc is member of guest group?

3. rocksoldier72

Hi,
    The user account that got messed up is the Admin under User Accounts, although it looks like a new guest account now. The other three users are Limited Accounts and they are fine. The Guest account is set to off.

4. rocksoldier72

A little more info to help troubleshoot.

I had McAfee years ago and now use Norton. I ran tools to clean both of those out, then re-installed Norton, ran Windows FixIt in Default and Aggressive mode, with no change.

Here is more info. The admin user account is user "Marty". There are three other users as Limited Admins. The Guest is disabled.

The three other user accounts are fine - all settings, favorites, desktop, etc are still there.

When I select "Marty", it looks like a brand new account with a clean slate of settings. When I open 'My Computer' and select "Marty's Documents", it goes to c:\documents and settings\temp\my documents. But, if i browse to c:\documents and settings\, open the "Marty" folder, everything is normal.

So, it looks like one of the last updates made the 'Marty' user account load up as a TEMP user, but TEMP is not listed under 'Users and Accounts' in Control Panel. I want the old Marty back :)

5. ali-haris

ali-haris

Are you using a Pirated version of Windows? or Genuine?

6. Harbir

Harbir

Do the System Restore and It will work Fine from Safemode

7. rocksoldier72

It is genuine. It is the OEM that came with the Dell PC.

I'll try SafeMode tonight.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice