1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

User Shares on NT4 Domain

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bookouri, May 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookouri

bookouri Thread Starter

I am in the process of moving our users from our old Netware 3.X server to NT4 Domain. Just because its the way we've always done it, I recreated all the users directories in NT and shared them individually the way we always have in netware. I suspect that in NT the proper way would have been to share the \\ourserver\users$ and then given permissions to the individual users directories, but I cant map the users drive directly to their directory that way and I wanted the users to see their shares only and not everyone elses. Even though they cant get into the other user directories it would just confuse them, (and maybe tempt them to try) if they see all the user directories out there. My concern is that I have between 300 and 400 users. Is there a limit to the actual shares NT can have? Is there a performance hit for hundreds of shares? Am I heading into problems further on by giving the users these shares? What is the accepted and preferred way to provide each user with a user directory?

thanks in advance

2. rodman

rodman

try this in user manerger
    path sould look something like this : \\servername\share\%name%

let me know if this helps
    rodman

3. Dan O

Dan O

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice