1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

userinit.exe problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steve13233, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve13233

steve13233 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 computer with Windows XP.

I downloaded Windows Doctor, ran a scan and had it repair errors in the registry. I have been unable to access the computer since making this mistake. Windows Doctor refuses to help.

I have attempted to research the problem and believe that it is with “userinit.exe” which may have been deleted or changed.

My computer is booting up to the window where you have to click on the user icon to proceed. It then gives a message that it is loading, followed by one that it is unloading and it stays at that same window.

I have tried to reboot in safe mode but the same thing happens with the exception that now you have an Icon for the administrator and one for the user. Neither one will get me into the computer.

The only solutions that I have found recommend that you reboot the computer with the XP CD and instruct it to repair the problem. The thing is that Dell never furnishes a Windows CD with their computers so I am unable to try this. Dell has agreed to help but at a cost of almost $300.00.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Steve

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi Steve - see if this will help.
    Reboot - tap F8
    Choose.
    Safe mode with command prompt..
    Log on as administrator.
    Type.
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This should launch System Restore.
    Choose a date prior to the problem.

3. steve13233

Thanks for the advice Blue I do appreciate it. The problem is that even when I try to boot up in safemode I am unable to log in even as the adminitrator. As soon as I click on Administrator I get a message "Loading your personal settings" then "Unloading your personal settings" and that's as far as I can get. I can continue clicking and the same thing continues to happen.

If I didn't need some files that are in the computer it would have been in the Potomac river by now.

Steve

4. blues_harp28

5. steve13233

Hey Blue, thanks for the help it’s very much appreciated.

I finally had to agree to pay Dell the $100.00 for them to send me a disc and then they will take control of the computer, over the internet, and fix the bloody problem.

Since I'm the fool that screwed up the wife's computer I'm in no position to diddle with Dell about the fix; I won’t have peace until it’s done. You guys probably know exactly where I'm coming from.

Again, thanks for the help.

Steve

6. blues_harp28

We do indeed Steve - thanks for the update.
    ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice