1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Username and Password Boxes Greyed Out

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davetuck, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davetuck

davetuck Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm running an AD site with XP clients, I locked the screen on one of my machines using ctrl-alt-del > Lock Computer. On my return, the username and password boxes were greyed out.

I could still click the dropdown to choose between domains but couldnt enter a username and password so had to hard reboot the machine.

Can anyone tell me why this might have happened?

Thanks in advance!

David

2. u2sparky

u2sparky

I work in the IT department for a large company, also running WinXP SP2 in an Active Directory environment and came across the exact same issue today.

The user of the laptop said it happened to her for the first time last night, Jan 29th sometime after 6pm Mountain Standard Time, and it happened again today, in the middle of the afternoon.

She had put her laptop into Standby, and when she powered it back on, she hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and was not able to input her username or password as the boxes were both greyed out. Her AD account was normal (she was not locked out), and the computer AD account was normal as well (it was not disabled).

Since we have disabled the option to allow Remote Desktop Connections, I was not able to attempt this as a means of unlocking her computer. I ended up using a remote PowerOff utility and shut down the laptop. I was not able to recreate the issue, and returned the laptop to her. However, I did remove a piece of non-standard issue software that had been installed, a program called Telus e-Care that she had installed when she was connected to Telus DSL at her home.

Any ideas out there. I've done the standard Google searches, and ended up at this thread.

3. gurutech

gurutech

Turn off the power management for the NIC. When the computer goes into standby mode, it will generally turn off power to the NIC, which in turn drops the network connection.

Since you no longer have a network connection, hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL will bring the screen up, but there is no way to authenticate the user.

4. u2sparky

u2sparky

Thanks for the reply, however, when we resumed the laptop from Standby, there was an active ethernet connection, as I was able to access the admin share (\\computername\c$) on the affected laptop from another computer on the network.

5. gurutech

gurutech

Is there a Novell client running on the machine by chance?

6. banana slug

banana slug

This happened to a user at my location as well. Username and password boxes greyed out. Domain selection still active. User account and computer account in AD not locked out. Network port active. No Novell client installed.

Google doesn't seem to have much information about this -- I wonder if it's a newly introduced bug from one of Microsoft's latest patches. Unfortunately, it's hard to debug this one because we can't get into the computer to examine its state. Only solution I've found so far is to reboot the machine.

7. u2sparky

u2sparky

There was not a Novell client installed. We had to force the laptop down using the power button, and we have not been able to replicate the issue with the user's computer either.

8. u2sparky

u2sparky

Well, it's 2 months later and we've seen this same issue happen with another user and computer.

The common item in both of these cases is that the user had installed an application from a local ISP, called Telus eCare.

With the previous issue we had in January, we had uninstalled the eCare software and the user did not experience any more issues with the password box being greyed out.

We still don't know what steps the user is doing that causes it to happen.

9. gurutech

gurutech

I'd have to say that installing the eCare program is causing it.

10. dvigliotti

dvigliotti

well, I have to disagree on the eCare problem/solution. I have this same situation occurring on a desktop unit in an AD environment. We have never loaded the Telus software. When a user logs out to Ctrl-Alt-Del every once in awhile it comes up with greyed out username and password fields. The only solution is to reboot the machine. It is a IBM P4 3.2Ghz station with a new load and current patches including SP2. I have yet to track down an offending patch.

11. btwalter

btwalter

I as well received a issue like this today. It is a workstation, so no DSL software is installed.
    I run a AD enviroment, and this is the 1st time I have seen this issue. A reboot resolved the issue, but there still hasn't been a cause.

12. swaj

swaj

I'm having this issue with my company-issued laptop also. We have AD set up here. There is no Telus eCare software here (we don't have Telus service even available in St. Louis that I know of). The network card is active after it wakes. Username and Password boxes are greyed out, while the domain box is functional. Only fix is a reboot. Are there any patches out there?

13. mwalimumukubwa

mwalimumukubwa

Some technician screwed up my friends computer. They told him to buy a new one (from him). As we are in our late 60s and not full of cash and in a small village.... Anyhow, somehow I managed to get it going in safe mode. Don't ask me how I got past the user name and password...I found it full of rubbish that I removed. The comp was now running full blast , in safe mode. However when making a restart in safe mode there is no way that I can now get past the user name and password. My friend gave up on this computer some months ago and does not remember his user name and password! When starting the comp normal way it gives me: "Stop: C000026c Unable to load device driver\??\C:windows|system32\epsonsys.sys device driver could not be loaded. Error status was Oxc0000020" this was the message that prompted me to try and get it going in safe mode.
    I am not even Einstein's nail offcut....
    Thanks, Wessel

14. njmalm1

njmalm1

I have the same problem in my org. Five or six users have reported it...both laptops and desktops. All of the systems here are Dells. I'm wondering if Symantec 10 might be the problem. Let me know what you think.:rolleyes:

15. Z06guy

Z06guy

I've seen this issue like 10 times at work. We have ~2000 systems all HO/Compaq with XP SP2. Every time I've looked into it, the system has an event IT 1074 The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of COMPUTER_NAME for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Minor Reason: 0xff
    Shutdown Type: reboot
    Comment: System Restart required.

After that there is an event ID 551 which says the user logged off.

Then the username and password fields are grayed out. The only way I've found to get back onto the system is to use remote desktop to log onto the system. Once you do that, you can log onto the system with the problem. You need to save your work and restart. If you don't the username and password fields are grayed out again when the screen saver locks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!