1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

%USERPROFILE% folder on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kristinstokes, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristinstokes

kristinstokes Thread Starter

The other day I noticed a new folder on my desktop that was called %USERPROFILE% that I did not creat. I deleted it and the next time I looked, it was back on my desktop. I didn't really worry about it until I tried to install quicktime. Then I got an error message saying "could not access network location %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\." So now this harmless oddity had become an annoying problem. I don't even know where it came from or why but what do I so about it so that I can download things again?

oh and i have windows xp

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. kristinstokes

kristinstokes Thread Starter

I checked all the shell folders and paths in both the blue boxes and everything is correct. Inside that folder is Application Data then Microsoft then CryptnetUrlCache and SystemCertificates. Inside CryptnetUrlCache is Content and MetaData and inside both of those are lots of SYS files with really long names of random letters and numbers. Inside SystemCertificates is My then Certificates and CRLs and CTLs, all 3 of those folders are empty. I want to uninstall a program and it won't let me, I just get that error message about %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. This is getting really annoying. I tried to do a system restore, but after I picked a date to restore to and clicked the "next" button, nothing happened. I tried restarting my computer and picking different dates, but I could not get system restore to work. I didn't get an error message about that or anything, it just wouldn't do anything at all.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Every "user" including the global "ALL USERS" has an "applications data" folder -- which has a "hidden" attribute (you would normally have to have "show hidden files" enabled in Folder Options > View to see it.

Open up Explorer and look under Documents and Settings > All Users, and see if there is an "applications data" folder there.

Run cmd.exe and at the prompt enter set

Where does it say your All Users path leads to?
    If it is pointing any place else, at the command prompt enter:

ALLUSERSPROFILE="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"

In the registry, verify under the key >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

In the same location also do the same for "user shell folders"

For system restore, run eventvwr.msc and look at the Applications and System logs -- any errors for that there?

Or other recent errors that might be relevant?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice