1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Users Crashed. Incorrect directory....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jennifer311096, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jennifer311096

jennifer311096 Thread Starter

Hey Guys I'll start from the beginning,

My c: drive got full so I decided to move the c:\users folder to an External Hard drive (F:). That's where the problems started after I couldn't create some kind of junction/mklink which this one website told me to do. The other users crashed except for my Main User. Another website told me to put c:\users back so I did but the problems still aren't solved. My Main user then crashed, but I manged to get on and although the folders are back in the correct place they don't seem to be recognized by the computer or work properly (missing icons ect.). Now the Main User is back to normal now though [have no idea why!]

I couldn't log onto the other users so I created a new user account with the same name, and put the files (docs,pics ect) back there but the new user was crashed when I opened it, the desktop came up with the following message "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to to make sure the disk is properly inserted."
    I moved the desktop file to that location specified but although the desktop icons appeared on the desktop nothing else has changed. When I log onto this new user, the message "the file name,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect". Im very confused because some parts works and others don't. Please Help.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello J & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum:
    Did you use a program called Junction, or some other tool / program / utility to move C:\users?
    If you have a link, please provide it.

Please run the TSG system info & paste the results in a reply.
    http://forums.techguy.org/site-comments-suggestions/1043674-system-info-utility.html

Have you run chkdsk /r?

start > programs / all programs > accessories
    RIGHT click "command prompt"
    Left click "run as administrator"
    type: cd\
    press enter
    type: chkdsk /r
    enter
    You will receive a msg that chkdsk needs exclusive access to your hard drive & wants to know if you want chkdsk to run at the next boot.
    Accept
    Exit the command prompt

Backup your data

Turn off / Shutdown normally your computer

Turn on your computer.

Please read this.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

Then post the results of chkdsk /r in a reply.

Also, test your system & report the status.

RF123

3. jennifer311096

jennifer311096 Thread Starter

I just simply copied ans pasted the files where I wanted them.

And as for Have you run chkdsk /r? I have just followed your instuctions and when you say:

[/LIST]You will receive a msg that chkdsk needs exclusive access to your hard drive

This came up instead "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

I'll give myself a point for being close. :)

Type "Y" for yes, to accept the offer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!