1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Users folder disappeared

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tommy2k8, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

I am looking at a client's Packard Bell desktop that suffered a Windows 8.1 crash, and now it won't boot. Automatic Repair doesn't fix it. The disk is partitioned into a Packard Bell logical partition, a Data logical partition, and a Recovery logical partition. Most of the folders on the Packard Bell partition are still there (Program Files and Program Files <x86> for example), but the Users folder isn't there, and the only folder in Windows is Logs, which doesn't contain any Windows information anyway! The only folders on Data are System Recovery Information and Recycle Bin. (The files aren't in the Recycle Bin either.) Ubuntu and TestDisk cannot see those folders either. Running a chkdsk after listing the drive letters from the Command Prompt in Windows 8 Recovery found and fixed some errors, but that didn't make a difference. I am running a virus scan using a boot disk, 2 viruses were found, but 454 errors were too, and now it is going through the healing process, the 'error' files it can't find (I think because it cannot find the files!) Taking the disk out and putting it into another system probably won't make any difference either. I have Googled it, but with no luck. Any clues?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

It looks like your only option is recovery software, both Piriform and EaseUS have decent programs but for a job this size you may have to buy a license.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Tommy, are you able to view the Properties of the Data Partition..?

And if you are able to view the Properties, is the total space, used space and free space what you would expect..?

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!