Users folder disappeared

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tommy2k8

I am looking at a client's Packard Bell desktop that suffered a Windows 8.1 crash, and now it won't boot. Automatic Repair doesn't fix it. The disk is partitioned into a Packard Bell logical partition, a Data logical partition, and a Recovery logical partition. Most of the folders on the Packard Bell partition are still there (Program Files and Program Files <x86> for example), but the Users folder isn't there, and the only folder in Windows is Logs, which doesn't contain any Windows information anyway! The only folders on Data are System Recovery Information and Recycle Bin. (The files aren't in the Recycle Bin either.) Ubuntu and TestDisk cannot see those folders either. Running a chkdsk after listing the drive letters from the Command Prompt in Windows 8 Recovery found and fixed some errors, but that didn't make a difference. I am running a virus scan using a boot disk, 2 viruses were found, but 454 errors were too, and now it is going through the healing process, the 'error' files it can't find (I think because it cannot find the files!) Taking the disk out and putting it into another system probably won't make any difference either. I have Googled it, but with no luck. Any clues?

It looks like your only option is recovery software, both Piriform and EaseUS have decent programs but for a job this size you may have to buy a license.

Tommy, are you able to view the Properties of the Data Partition..?

And if you are able to view the Properties, is the total space, used space and free space what you would expect..?

T.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online