1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using 10 Webcams parallel Win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skewcrap, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skewcrap

skewcrap Thread Starter

Hi

I want to use 10 USB Webcams parallel (10x Logilink U0072) with Win7. I have a 10 port USB Hub, but unfortunately only 2 Cams are working parallel. I tried with different software such as XSplit. The third camera is displayed as offline.

When I plug the Cams into different USB ports (the ports next to each other don't work), more than 2 Cams work.

Since I need a 10m USB Cable I want to avoid using 5x 10m cable to use the webcams.

Is there any reason why more than 2 cams don't work on one USB hub?
    Bandwidth and power can't be the issue!

Regards

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The USB standard supports a maximum cable length of 5 meters without using any inline repeaters. You can run into communications problems due to timing issues with longer cables.

Are you using a separate AC power adapter to directly power the hub? Is the adapter able to put out a bit more current than the total current needed by each camera?

3. skewcrap

skewcrap Thread Starter

To clarify:

The USB cable is 10m long but it's active. It's not the issue here.
    One camera consumes 60 mA of current (according to the data sheet).
    My 10 Port USB Hub has a AC adapter that delivers 2.5A of current, so power can not be the issue!
    As mentioned when I use different USB ports I can run more than 2 cams. But since the computer is 10m away, I would like to use just 1 USB cable rather than 5x (2 cameras each).

USB should be able to handle 128 devices, so I just don't get why 2 cameras work but 3 don't!

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I am no expert here, but could it be a data bandwidth issue? Yes, USB can support up to 128 devices, potentially, using a USB hub however all those devices use the same, limited bandwidth?

5. skewcrap

skewcrap Thread Starter

If it should be a bandwidth issue, why then: 2 identical cams + one different cam works fine! 3 identical cams does not work!

6. Simba7

Simba7

Only thing I can suggest is if the drivers can handle multiple devices.

I know Linux can, but can Windows?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice