1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using 2 Routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dark Vader, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Vader

Dark Vader Thread Starter

Currently, I have the D-Link 2640B router which has an ADSL modem built into it. I use it for surfing the internet and for VOIP. I have a CISCO VOIP ATA plugged into one of its Ethernet port.

I want to stream HD 720p video to my WDTV Live Media Player which is connected to a HDTV but the D-Link 2640B router doesn't do this well since the download and upload speeds are quite low. Because of this, I was thinking of buying another router that has the 802.11 N standard. Would I be able to use my D-Link 2640B router with a another router for streaming HD 720p videos at the same time? Would I be able to get Windows 7 to connect to both of the routers at the same time?

Thanks.

2. centauricw

centauricw

In this case, you'll want to use the 802.11n router as just an access point with the router function turned off and the wireless function on the D-Link turned off. You cannot connect to two wireless access points at the same time, so the new 802.11n will be for wireless connections while the D-Link handles the Internet connection.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What download speed are you supposed to be getting?

What download speed do you actually measure with Speedtest.net with an ethernet connection to the modem/router? With a wireless connection in the vicinity of the TV?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice