using a 19 " monitor connected to laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jeff B

Hello,
I have a 14.1" Thinkpad T30 with a bad screen (burned out backlight bulb and wires). I just connected a new 19" wide screen monitor to use at my desk. The images of my XP Pro OS fit the screen perfectly. But I just realized all the circles look like ovals (the image is stretched left to right). How can I adjust the image so I will have true circles? I don't mind if I'm searching the web, but I can't create graphics with this distortion.

Is this adjustable from my computer -- I can't seem to adjust the size off the monitor.

Thanks!
JB

First try this, if you haven't Right click on the desktop, choose properties -> settings -> change resolution to 1440x900 or some other widescreen resolution.. If that's not possible.. It's propably tied to the resolution of its own monitor, and you need a monitor with the same aspect ratio... (Don't take that as a fact, others may have a working solution...)

bg-o has your problem. the thinkpads all have square resolutions. so basicly when you connect a widescreen monitor to it, it stretches out the square image to make it into a rectangle thats 16x9 or 16x10, and thats where you get the ovals from

Jeff B

I would like to be able to switch back and forth from square to wide screen. It definitely makes it difficult to draw a true circle.
JB

After you plugged the monitor into the laptop, did you try a reboot?

I had a similar problem at work when I was connecting a PC that originally was connected to a 17" CRT monitor to a new KVM switch that had a 19" widescreen monitor attached. The PC wouldn't recognize the new monitor or offer any widescreen resolutions. After reboot though, the new monitor was recognized and the proper resolutions were available.

Jeff B

I've been checking all the settings, rebooting, etc. But the only dimension changes are made on my desktop. When I open Photoshop Elements it fills up the wide screen which distorts whatever I'm doing. As I said, the image is fine for internet viewing, but not when you need accurate geometric shapes. Still need some suggestions?
Thanks

DoubleHelix

Banned
That's not a wide-screen resolution and will cause the display to stretch. What are your options for resolution? Hopefully one is supported.

Jeff B

1440 X 900, 1280 X 1024, 1024 X768, 800 X 600
These are the 4 resolutions. I can adjust from right clicking on desktop, However, if I am working in Photoshop or any other screen the image fills wide screen and distorts.
How do I make the adjustment work in all screens?
Thanks

Hmm. So you say there's something wrong with it if you set it to 1440x900?

1440 x 900 should be the default resolution for widescreen.

If you use any of the other resolutions then you will get distortion.

Jeff B

when I change resolution to 1440X900 my desktop image changes proportion accordingly(no distortion) BUT when I go into my graphics program (or anywhere else) the image fills the screen and is stretched. How do I set the resolution to work no matter what program I am in?
JB

What programs exactly are you experiencing this distortion?

It's odd that applications would not auto adjust to the current Windows resolution.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online