1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using a crossover

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spiker_22, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spiker_22

spiker_22 Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro and have taken on a project for a friend.
    All I have to do is put win 95 on a laptop that has no CD or OS.
    Simple, right?

i have tried 3 different network boot disks. The NIC is undetectable by auto detect. Fortunately the first disk
    I got from bootdisk.com allowed me to manually select a driver,
    but I was unable to connect with the LT connected to directly to my workstation through a hub. Was unable to even browse or map a drive.
    Hey why not just use NETBUI? XP does not seem to support
    this protocol or at least it does not come with it. But I tried running a 95 machine through VMware. Still unable to connect.
    I decided to get a crossover cable and do the installation that way using 95, but 95s support for connecting with a crossover
    assumes the other machine is running 95.
    Bottom line is I need a boot dis that will allow me to connect both machines through a crossover cable using LPT1.
    most network bootdisks do not seem to support this.
    Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look in the VALUEADD directory on your XP boot disk, and you'll find the NETBEUI files and a small text file telling you where to put them. After that, NETBEUI will show up on the protocol install menu.

You could also use something along the lines of LapLink with either a serial or parallel cable and transfer the installation files over that way, then run the install from the hard disk. LapLink will run from a boot floppy...

3. spiker_22

spiker_22 Thread Starter

Woops forgot to add that the LapTop is a 486, with a 10BASE_T 3 com Etherlink 3 card. The NIC seems to work. With the first boot disk I was able to ping the LT only. The disk used something like TCP/IP 1.0, and DOS 3.0 but since during autodetect it mentioned the tranciever failed, I have not ruled out the NIC entirely as part of the problem.

4. spiker_22

spiker_22 Thread Starter

Thanks John!!

Working beautifully!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We like to please! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!