1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using a form field to select display of a form

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by supaduparocka, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supaduparocka

supaduparocka Thread Starter

Hi all. I have different table for each type of inventory that we have. I would like to design one master form that would ask what type of inventory that the user would like to enter. Depending upon what the user selects, it will change the fields to the categories in the pertaining table. Is this possible?

2. Rockn

Rockn

You would have been better off in using one table and creating a separate table for categories with linked fields back to the main parts table. Then you could have a form to filter by category.

3. supaduparocka

4. spatha

spatha

You could create a form with a Tab Control. Then put subforms for each table on separate tabs.

5. supaduparocka

Tab Control? Subforms? hmmm, I must evaluate lol

6. supaduparocka

I'm still not getting it. can anybody set up my tables and a form, if it's not too big of a job. I'm not even sure how long it shoudl take, honestly. From there, I can set up my queries and reports.

Also, how do you set up the window that boots up to give options of things to do with the database?

7. OBP

OBP

You must have at least one Primary Key field, if you can post a zipped copy of the database tables in Access 2000-2003 format I will set it up for you.

8. Rockn

Rockn

I looked at the db he has and it needs a lot of normalization. Not to mention the fact that you are going to need to create a form for every table you have created to enter and edit new data into each additional table. It seems like an ambitious project, but do you really need to keep track of cables and basic consumables. Personally I would create one table for all drives instead of separating out FDD, HDD, CDR, etc. This is the kind of normalization I am talking about, along with creating separate tables for things that populate dropdown boxes on forms to make your data entry consistent.

9. supaduparocka

In reference to OBP, it's posted here: http://forums.techguy.org/business-a...ml#post8160987

In reference to Rockn, The only problem is that the drives have different characteristics. It is ambitious, and there's a lot of questions that I have that I can't answer on my one, such as how to index them. I was hoping that I could figure it out, but it seems that it may be beyond my capabilities. My obsessive-compulsiveness probably also plays into it lol.

10. Rockn

Rockn

It does take a lot of planning and asking of questions to get where you want to be. A good idea is to try and reverse engineer some of the sample databases that Microsoft and others are offering online and take the bits that will work for you. Don't give up that easily

11. OBP

OBP

Sorry, your reference link to your database is broken, can you post the database again?
    I agree with the Rockn, getting the basic table designs right with the correct relationships is very important, but ideally you treat it like eating an Elephant and take it in small bites by concentrating on the "master" table/query/form and then add the other tables/queries/forms to support it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice