1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using a Monitor as a Tv?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BratDawg, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    Ooook - I thought I was buying a tv with pc connectivity for the bedroom; I bought a monitor.

The peephole tv I was using connected to a wireless tv remote box using an rca cable. I have Dish Network and that let me be able to see whatever channel I set it on in the remote location.

I see on Amazon that there are DVI and probably VGA to RCA cables. Would like to hear if anyone has done this so their monitor could be used for tv. I also ordered a Roku player (basic) so I could get netflix.

I knew I should have waited and sved up for a google tv. :(

TV: http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2...egrated/dp/tech-data/B003HFCDLY/ref=de_a_smtd

The Roku device came with an RCA cable and also an HDMI cable/slot. If that helps....

Thanks

2. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    I'm finding cables on Amazon in various configurations. Would there be a forseeable problem in connecting the VGA port to the Leapfrog RCA wireless tv system and the DVI port to the HDMI slot on the Roku?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You won't get audio through the VGA or DVI ports. That would require some other adapter (if it would even work) to connect to the single audio input jack.

I suggest you return it and buy a TV. You'll spend the difference in trying to find cables and adapters that may or may not work.

4. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    Sigh - Actually it has integrated speakers.... Returning it would be costly too - shipping and restocking fee. It's a beautiful monitor. I'm in the boonies - Amazon is my friend. How I didn't see "Monitor" when I was looking at it is anyone's guess - must have been a smudge on my glasses. :(

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Amazon has a very good return policy. Are you positive you saw return shipping charges and restocking fees for that item?

Yes, I know it has speakers, but it has a single computer sound card input. It doesn't have composite audio inputs. Unless you have this in a very small bedroom, you're not likely going to get room-filling sound. It's designed to be heard by the person sitting directly in front of it at a desk.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice