1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using a Motherboard Tester

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RonnieV, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonnieV

RonnieV Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Elston Micro PCI PC Post Tester to help me troubleshoot computers with potentially faulty motherboards.

The documentaion that accompanies this item is very sparse, but if I understand correctly, when placed into an empty PCI slot, the card displays a series of numbers during boot up. If boot up hangs somewhere along the process, the last numbered displayed can help identify a precise problem with the board.

I've tried the card on a Gateway E-2000 where fans are working on the mobo but no video is displayed; on a Dell Optiplex GX270 with a set of similar symptoms; and with a working HP PC and with a working Dell Optiplex GX270. The only thing this card has displayed is "FF" which the documentation says means that the BIOS has already passed control to the operating system. It's appears almost immediately after the mobo has power and stays on ubtil I turn the PC off.

This puzzles me as two of the four PCs I've used it on has onboard video that isn't responding. I would think I'd get some indication of a defective mobo on these PCs.

I've done a cold boot with all the above PCs but all I've seen is FF. Does anyone with experience with a mobo tester - especially one from Elston - have any thoughts of what's I'm doing wrong? Or should I simply send this item back to Cyberguys?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

They got my money, too. I fail to see the usefulness of it as my result was about the same in that I got nothing that made sense.

Wasted money.

Face it: The only thing on a main board that I have ever managed to "fix" are swollen capacitors. If it hangs in POST or will not hand off to the OS, will not light up the screen and you have no swollen capacitors, it's toast.

My experience? That card is useless.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've looked at motherboard testers, but because of ever changing circuitry (processors, chipsets, RAM, etc) I'm not sure if it would be possible to build a motherboard diagnostic tool.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Yes, and it has always been that way. There were some testing utilities in the earlier years; but, let's face it. If anything at all goes bad on that board, it's toast. So what difference does it make if it is the computer clock, real time clock, IDE controller, the BIOS, etc. It's still just as useless.

5. RonnieV

RonnieV Thread Starter

Just to put a period on this thread, I spoke with a knowledgeable tech at CyberGuys today who provided some helpful info. While he couldn't explain why the FF code that indicated that that the OS had taken control of the boot process was appearing so quickly, he indicated that FF generally indicated the mobo was working correctly. Sure enough, one of the boards I believed defective is fine. Before speaking with the tech, I had traced my problem to the CPU. Once I substituted a different chip, everything was fine.

Finally, when I revisited the documentation for the diagnostic card, I did find a phone number and email address for Elston to be used for support. My bad and my apologies for the error in my earlier message.

Ron

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice