Using a Pivot Table....need some help...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Raider4evr

Im currently transferring information from an adobe PDF report to excel. The information is basicaly a row by row listing of shipments that will be sent out of our facility with the following information: Load#, dispatch day, ETA, Carrier, weight, cube, cartons, origin, destination and maybe a couple others.

Like I said, I currently take this report and manually key this into excel, but was told a pivot table would be easier to use. I always thought a pivot table was for doing calulation over large ranges of data. based on the info above, would a pivot table help out? Also, please note, some load#'s above will be listed twice when a shipment is going to two destinations.

If you need more info, let me know and I can try and give more. Also, if you have any links to online sites for learning pivot tables, that would be great! Gonna go out and get a book as well.

Thanks!

Pivot tables are great at what they do, but they won't help you data input.

Have a go at XL's built-in DataForm if you like (Data -- Form), but it's fairly naff.

Here's some tips.

1. Assuming your header info is in row 1, select cell A2, then choose Freeze Panes from the Window menu. However far you move down the sheet, the header info will remain in view, so you won't lose track of which column you're in.

2. Use the shortcut CTRL+; for current date.

3. Use the shortcut CTRL+' to copy the value from the cell above.

4. Use some code in the worksheet module (rightclick the tab, select View Code). Let's say you have 11 columns to enter, then

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Column = 11 Then
Target.Offset(1, -10).Select
End If
End Sub

means whenever you change an entry in column 11 & hit Enter, the cursor'll jump to column A in the next row.

HTH,
Andy

Don't mean to interrupt, but where is the data coming from that gets entered in the PDF report and can you intercept it? ie How is that report generated?

Curious

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online