Using a Print Server with Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marka87uk

Hi,

I'm having trouble setting up a new Vista machine on my home network to use the printer connected to a USB Print Server on the router.

Here's the hardware involved:

Edimax PS-1205Um 1 Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet USB Print Server
Netgear DG834GT Router
HP PSC 2110 Printer

In XP, I have the printer set up as follows:

Port Name: IP_192.168.0.5
Printer Name or IP Address: 192.168.0.5
Protocol: LPR
Queue Name: lpt1

But I cannot seem to be able to use these setting to make it work in Vista! Any ideas on how to set this up? :)

marka87uk

Anyone? I need this set up pretty urgently to be honest... :(

Solved! :D

I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features >Turn Windows features on or off, expanded Print Services, and then selected LPR Port Monitor.

After the feature was installed, I went to Printers > Add Printer > chose Local Printer > selected 'Create a new port', and chose Type of port: 'LPR Port'. Then I typed in '192.168.0.5' under the 'Name or address of server providing lpd', and 'lpt1' under 'Name of printer or print queue on that server'.

Voila! :)

marka87uk

Thanks for your reply Bob; as you can see from my Edit of post #2, the problem was solved by turning on the LPR Port Monitor service.

I hope this thread helps somebody else! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online