1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using a Router in my dorm room

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zabuza, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zabuza

Zabuza Thread Starter

In my college dorm room, there are 4 ethernet ports to provide internet. However, I would like to hook my dvr (TiVo) to my computer so I can download the shows onto my computer. Could I use any of these routers to hook my computer to my Tivo? I ask because I don't have a cable modem, but just the 4 ports I stated before. Thank you in advance.

D-Link
    Netgear
    Belkin

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it's going to depend on the specifics of the network you're connecting to. Most colleges use DHCP to resolve IP addresses, and so any standard broadband router reset to factory defaults will connect and allow you to connect the two devices. Also, depending on how the network is configured, you may be able to split the outlet with a simple switch.

Without knowing more about the specific network, there's no 100% sure answer, I'd see if you can borrow a switch and/or router and test it.

3. Zabuza

Zabuza Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.

4. CALPOLY

CALPOLY

what cable do you use to connect DVR to your computer to record?

5. wisdum

wisdum

Probably a crossover cable... or a pair of straight-throughs and a switch/hub.

wis

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would be a straight patch cable from the router or switch.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice