1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using a Seagate hard drive with WNDR3700 router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tgrover54, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

This should be a simple issue, but it is not working and I cannot find anything online to help. I installed a new WNDR3700 router in my church. Three staff computers are connected via ethernet to a secure network. Two guest wireless networks (unsecured) are available--b/g and n. All is working great. I connected my new FreeAgent Seagate External hard drive to the USB port on the router. Went to the router webpage and enabled the drive (which does show there) in the USB port section. But the software does not load in my computer, and the external hard drive does not show on the network. What am I doing wrong? I would like to set it up to back up all the wired computers on the secure network. Am I skipping something important here? There is virtually no documentation on this procedure on either the Netgear or Seagate sites. Help!:eek:

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

I had to9 do a firmware update to use a usb drive with my Dlink router . . have you checked for one?

3. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

When I went to the router web page, it did say there were firmware updates. I did not load them, but I will try this. Should I keep the external drive connected through this, or disconnect and reconnect it afterward? The USB drive, incidentally, does show on the web page, and it does recognize the hard drive. But the software from the hard drive did not load on the computer. Is it possible I need to connect it directly to the computer first to load the software and then connect to the router?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you are able to see the drive, a firmware update is not the issue . . if you do update the firmware, disconnect everything but the pc you are updateing from.

What software are you expecting to see loaded?

5. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Hi, Rich,
    The Seagate drive indicates that simply connecting it by USB will automatically load the software for the external hard drive on the computer so I can set up backups. I can make sure only the one computer is on when updating firmware on the router. I also thought I would see the hard drive on the network of the pc, but no luck on that.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

You may have to load the software by connecting via usb.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is not going to load software when you connect to a router.

FWIW if you are going to do backups, then the ONLY thing to use is acronis true image. Acronis is like Snap-On tools; the standard by which others are judged. The included software with external type drives is problematic at best.

8. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Okay, so I need to first load the software directly on the PC with the hard drive. Will it then recognize it on the router? Do I also need to load the software on the other PC's that are connected to the router? Acronis sounds intriguing, but I think I'll try the Seagate software first before making another investment. It's not my money, so I need to be careful.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Who knows . . the drive is not designed to be used over a network . . it might be easier to attach it to one pc and share it over the network

10. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

That's odd. We bought this router specifically because it does have the USB port that is designed specifically for this very purpose. Are you saying that the drive itself isn't designed for this?

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

I'm really just saying that I don't know . . The drive is not intended to be used as a NAS so if it will work at all, you will have to do some expereimenting

12. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Yup, I hear you. I'm going to try to load software by connecting directly to each computer. Then, I'll see if the drive shows when plugged into the router. If not, I'll try to set it up on the network through the main PC, or look into using an NAS to connect the drive to the router.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a word of advise regarding backups. No backup is worth anything until you validate your ability to restore AND have it work. All of the backup software in the world is not going to do you any good IF it cannot find the computer on the network.

If you have multiple systems to image/backup, I would highly recommend getting a NAS and acronis TI rather than the standalone drive you now have.

14. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

The drive should work with no problem-but the software might not. I assume you're talking about backup software that came with the drive?

Unlike directly attached USB drives, network drives don't show up automatically under Windows. IMO your best bet is to map the drive to a drive letter, then use software that will let you back up to a network drive. And remember that *all* drives fail so don't rely on this as your only backup.

I put my drive on a UPS (mostly to avoid the aggravation of needing to manually turn it back on after every power outage, but also to hopefully extend the time before it fails), then I bought a second drive that I use to back up the 1st. Since I have a wireless network (much slower than wired) I disconnect my network drive once/week, connect it & the backup drive to a PC and then copy the contents of the network drive to the backup drive overnight. In the morning I reconnect one of them to the network again. Sometimes I need to remap the drive after that-I think it's because my router will periodically change the way it identifies the drive when I reconnect it. I'm not certain about that so, after reconnecting the drive I simply go around to every PC & check that it can access it. If it can't then I remap it, no big deal.

15. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I may either go with the NAS and get some software that will allow it to backup all 4 computers--or, just attach the hard drive directly to the main office computer and let it go at that. Calvin-C's solution just seems like way too much work. I would like this to happen automatically. Now, the secretary doesn't backup anything at all (!) and I know she will not take the time to do all this. Just knowing if anything happened we would have a backup is my goal. Having all the computers back up was a bonus, and I really thought it would work with this router. I hate to return the external hard drive now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice