1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using a wireless router + modem for routing only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pingumac, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pingumac

pingumac Thread Starter

hi there

i have an internet connection at the office, it uses an ethernet cable and comes out of socket in the wall. if plugged in, there is no login page etc ie it is a direct internet connection.

i have a DLink wireless adsl2+ router model DSL 2640T. this unit was previously used as a broadband router at home (the type that you plugged in a telephone cable, and there was a login page)

so my questions are

1. i want to use the Dlink unit at my office, so that it can use the office's internet connection and make a wireless area network (for use of smartphones/ tablets/ other coms etc). so i am using it as a wireless router only, and not using the modem. can this be done?

1a. if a Wireless AN can be established, can i run a cable from said modem to my main computer? (currently, the set up is that the internet cable runs to my desktop, and i can access the internet from there). so the connection is 'shared' between the desktop com and any other device (for eg a smartphone) that is connected via wireless.

2. if it can be done, how can it be done? what is the name of the process?, so that if any probs occur, i can refer to the resources on the net etc.

your help is very very appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You cannot use a modem/router as a router only.

3. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

No he's right but-

Here's a guide on how to hook up your wireless router to your dsl modem: http://askville.amazon.com/hook-wireless-router-DSL-line/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=1457506
    The guide is fairly easy to follow- Basically all you need to do is set the modem as "Bridged Ethernet" and the D-Link setup for PPOE. You can only connect using one connection not both so you'd have to disable your ethernet connection to use wireless to avoid conflict.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice