1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using actionscript 3.0 for game programming

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by lilLB, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

hello everyone,
    I'm trying to teach myself actionscript 3.0 to make games.
    I don't have flash cs3 because it is way too expensive but i did download the flex 3 sdk.
    I also downloaded FlashDevelop so that I can code and run the AS3 code directly.
    Just wondering if it is possible to make a decent flash game in this way, basically using code only and not the flash cs3 program.
    so far i've drawn circles and had them move across the stage so i'm still a ways away from making a game.
    Is it alot harder to make a game without the flash program?

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

It is perfectly possible to make a game from only Actionscript 3 or 2 as well. However it does become harder to make a game if you cant use the Flash Cs3 Ide to make graphics and so on and so forth. This can be counter acted by using external resources in your files. Does this clarify, or do you want me to explain a bit more, or give you some help with coding ?

3. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

that's pretty much what i was thinking.. how would u go about calling on files containing graphics.. i do have a book that im referencing but i haven't gotten too far into it

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

You load them into memory using URLLoader and a URLRequest.

5. phyxx

phyxx

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!