1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using an Access 2010 Qry in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by crimsonwingz, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crimsonwingz

crimsonwingz Thread Starter

We have an existing access database that crunches some reports from Quickbooks into a usable chunk of info. It basically shows all of the open purchase orders for a given sales order, where they are coming from, and when they are expected to arrive. Its used as a daily reference to make sure orders are on track to be shipped out on time.

We also use a hand-genearated word document to follow orders as they make their way through the warehouse. This document lists much of the info in the reports from above (SO, POs, Vendors, and Dates), with a bunch of other fields that are filled in by hand as the order goes on its merry way.

The problem is that on any given SO, there could be from 1 - 20 POs. I can create a report easy enough to list the info, but that doesnt give me the ability to fill in blanks and save the info.

Is there a way to make a report INTO a word document? Or is there a way to pull the key info as well as the sub lines (the POs) to a word document?

Jeff

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG crimsonwings. Hope you find what your looking for and take the opportunity to help others when you can.

On the word document, is this printed and passed around the warehouse? Sounds like you need a form in Access (not word) to populate you hand written info?

3. OBP

OBP

If the warehouse does not have access to the Access database then Draceplace's suggestion may prove a bit difficult.
    Access VBA can transfer data from an underlying Dataset, like a query directly in to a word Doc, providing the Word doc has Bookmarks set up to receive the data, it can also read the data from the word doc in the same way.
    I have posted examples of databases that do this on the Forum in the past.

4. crimsonwingz

Thanks Draceplace. Yes, this document is printed and follows the order physically, and a lot of the info is handwritten in, but at the time of creation order info and such is typed into the document.

OBP, I have seen a few examples, but these are mostly filling in a table with core info. The query may have up to 20 records that need to be recorded on the one document.

J

5. draceplace

draceplace

Do the people typing into the document have access to the DB? Or a Front End to the DB? If not OBPs document link might be worth looking into.

6. OBP

OBP

Can you show us a copy of the word document?

7. crimsonwingz

Yes, after I sit down with the team and figure out what they really want me to do here. They are using an excel spreadsheet and filling in the cells right now, not a word document. They had me working off a prior version they did with Word. Back to the drawing board :(

8. draceplace

draceplace

Excel is much easier to link/import than word...I would stick with that if possible. Damn users!

9. crimsonwingz

Are you aware of any examples on how to create these links? I have done a lot with access and vba, but not much interacting with other office aps?

The objects I am working with are from a sort query

SO#, Dealer, Ship Date (common to all)

PO#, Vendor, Expected Date (from 1 to 20 lines

Everything else will be manually filled in as it goes through the chain.

Jeff

10. OBP

OBP

What does the Excel worksheet look like?
    I have also posted various Excel/Access transfers of data.

11. draceplace

draceplace

Links= Click the External Data tab, click on Excel, you'll get the choice to import or link. Importing with vba is a simple step as well.

12. crimsonwingz

I have attached the worksheet.

I will go back through and search the forums for your information OBP. The items I found earlier didnt seem to apply to what I wanted to do.

On this sheet, the only parts that need to be automated ar the SO, Dealer, Ship Date, and the Incoming PO lines.

J

Attached Files:

13. OBP

OBP

The layout of that sheet lends itself to direct population by VBA code, providing it's design doesn't change too often.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice