1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using an AllTell wireless card to make a wireless network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tokarenp, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tokarenp

tokarenp Thread Starter

Hello, Basically I want to find a way to use my Alltell wireless USB modem card to provide Internet access to 2 computers. We have a cradelpoint router that accepts a USB wireless card but we do not want to use this router because we live in a very rural area and the router makes slow internet speeds even slower and with the router we loose the internet connection frequently and have to disconnect then reconnect at least once a night.

We want to set this up but do not know how, can you help?:
    1. Plug the wireless usb card into one of the computers and have that computer then connect to a switch or hub so all the other computers can communicate with it. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the computer with the Altell card. This will basically turn the computer into a NAT server which will allow it to communicate with all the other computers with internal IP addresses and translate requests/responses to the Internet.

Do I have to buy a switch or hub? how do I add the IP address in - I am lost in trying to set this up!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here are details if the computer with the mobile wireless card is running a Windows OS: Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

Unless the router is defective or you are not positioning it well I can't think of any reason why it would slow the not-very-fast wireless connection. What do you get with something like speedtest.net with the card in a computer and what do you get using the router with only that same computer connected to it?

A hub is half duplex so can slow a network with multiple computers the same way Wi-Fi does, so best to use a switch. If the router you have has enough ports to connect all your computers you can use it as a switch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice