1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using an ethernet cable to connect to wireless router..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LauraKay05, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraKay05

LauraKay05 Thread Starter

I was on here last night trying to get my laptop to connect to wireless internet. I'm still working on figuring that out with the person I bought the laptop from and I may end up purchasing a wireless card, but now my question is:

Can I connect to the internet right now by using an ethernet network cable plugged into my computer and into the D-link router which my desktop computer already accesses the internet from?

I plugged it in but nothing happened.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sure, that's how I normally connect if I have a laptop up in my office.

Let's see this after you connect the cable and reboot the laptop.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

3. LauraKay05

Ok. Here's what it says.

C:\Documents and Settings\Laura>IPCONFIG /ALL
    Windows IP Configuration

C:\Documents and Settings\Laura>

4. LauraKay05

None of that information shows up for me on my laptop....which probably isnt good, but I don't know why it doesn't. I just got this laptop yesterday.

I know I'm doing it right, b/c when I do the same thing on my desktop which I'm typing this from....I do get all the info like you posted above.

5. JohnWill

Look in Device Manager and see if anything is listed under Network Controllers. It appears you don't have any NIC's installed.

6. LauraKay05

I'll try to give you some additional information.

I have DSL internet. My DSL Router is Westell Model 6100.

I have a Wireless router. It is a D-Link Model DI-524.

Before I got my laptop this is how my desktop connected to the internet. I have my DSL phone cord connecting to the phone jack, then I have a ethernet network cable going from the DSL router to my Wireless router. Then another ethernet cable is plugged into the Wireless router (slot 1) and that goes into the back of my desktop.

7. JohnWill

If you have two routers, I normally recommend the following connection technique.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

8. LauraKay05

In Device Manager I see a "Network Adapters" choice which has "1394 Net Adapter" listed under it. Other than that I don't see any network stuff, except under "Other Devices" there is "Network Controller" the icon next to it is a yellow question mark with a yellow circle next to it which has an exclamation point in it.

9. LauraKay05

I have no idea how to do any of that.... :( Sorry. I'm not the best with computers.

10. LauraKay05

How do I go about installing NIC's?

11. JohnWill

If your NIC has a yellow !, it means something is wrong, probably the drivers are not installed. If you open the properties of that device, what is the error code?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice