1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using an external monitor as a primary monitor for a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anonymous11, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anonymous11

anonymous11 Thread Starter

The laptop our family shares recently had its monitor broken. It displays half of the screen, but will not stop shaking. I have it hooked up to an external monitor, but I am unable to use it to display the laptop screen without changing the display settings via the laptop. Is there some command I can use to set the external monitor to display the laptop screen? Or do I need to replace the laptop screen?

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

The FN+F4 keyboard shortcut is the common one for switch between displays. It will cycle through laptop screen, external monitor and clone (or similar). If you have the external monitor plugged in and the laptop on, try using that keyboard shortcut a few times, wait 3-5 seconds or so between each press it is isn't always instantaneous.

Once you have the display showing on the monitor you can adjust any resolution settings to make sure it works correctly.

3. Dougx789

Dougx789

It would help if you told us what laptop you have and what operating system.

As Tanis said there's usually a FN + F key shortcut, for which F key you will need to tell us the model of your laptop.

If you're running Windows you can also use the Windows logo key + P

4. anonymous11

anonymous11 Thread Starter

It uses windows 8. The fn + other buttons did not work for me. I tried using windows key and p before classes today. This brought up another menu on the side that I can't make out due to the screen flickering. Could someone pobbibly list keyboard buttons I could use to navigate this and set it to mirror the display?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't run Win8 but in my Win 7 the choices from left to right are:
    Computer only
    Duplicate
    Extend
    Projector Only (this would be the external monitor, I assume) Just tried this and it shows the display on only my monitor, not the computer screen.

6. renegade600

renegade600

if you give the laptop model number we can be more specific, otherwise anything said is just a guess.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice