1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using an hdtv as monitor from laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lorelai, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorelai

lorelai Banned Thread Starter

Nov 9, 2006
    Ok, I have a new compaq presario, running xp, and jacked the vga cable I bought from the laptop to the hdtv's vga input, then set the tv to "VGA", but get "no signal". Do I have to go into the notebook's monitor display properties to somehow get one device to recognize the other? Thanks.
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Nov 28, 2005
    I have seen some laptops that let you enable and disable the VGA output using either a set-up menu or keyboard shortcut. Your laptop's user manual should have the information.

Also check the specifications for the HDTV set for any limitations for the video formats (resolution and frequencies) that it supports. You then need to make sure that the laptop's VGA signals meet those requirements.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516971