1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using an old desktop pc for a power supply (Moved from Windows 10 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conlo, Jun 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

This is a weird one and I understand if you dismiss it.
    I just bought a new Asus desktop pc. With the old one I was using a Sony VIO that went bad. The speakers are very good ones.I had front and woofer speakers working with it. I was using the power supply and speakers to apply sound to the new pc. Being old I forgot how to hook it up. I know that the old and new pcs have a small green jack for sound output. So we are talking about 3 pcs. The older one is an Asus that went bad, so it is pulled out and out of the way. So now I have to pcs. A brand new Asus and an a very old Sony VIO, which also went bad , but I am using the speakers that came with it. The speakers are high quality , one left and right front end and one bass woofer. What is the proper hook up . I just forgot

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Brand and model of speakers would help.

What model is the Asus?

I like to look at manuals for hardware before I answer questions.

3. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

The new pc is an Asus

4. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

The Sony VAIO desktop computer is model no VGC-RA825GY and came with two front end speakers model no VPG1, and the sub woofer is PCVA SB1. I now believe that I have the audio output of the Sony pc to the input of the speakers. If this is correct do I need to go from audio output of the new pc to the audio input to the Sony pc.

5. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

noticed that there is no connection between the two pcs, just the audio output VIO pc to speakers. I would think that there should be some kind of connection between the two pcs, like maybe a usb cord ??

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Forget the Sony. You want to know how to hook speakers up to your new PC, correct?
    I need to know exactly what model Asus. Surely the computer came with a carton with labels, model number and serial numbers on it. What is the model?

NO! You hook speakers up to the Asus, you don't hook one desktop PC to another desktop PC.

7. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Thanks , I must have an audio issue. I did hookup speakers to new pc but still no sound. Where do I go from here ??

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Are the speakers stand-alone? Do they have a power cord that needs to be plugged in?

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Good luck Mark trying to get the OP to answer a question.
    Twice I've asked for the model of Asus so I can find a manual and look at the ports. Instead he asks more questions.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice